With combined assets of approximately £45bn, and representing the retirement savings of approximately 1 million scheme members across over 2000 employers
LGPS Central Limited is owned equally by the pension funds and is dedicated to the management of local government pension assets. The aim of the Company is to use the combined buying power of its Partner Funds to reduce costs, improve investment returns and widen the range of available asset classes for investment - all for the benefit of local government pensioners, employees and employers. We are also committed to fully integrating Responsible Investment and Engagement into all our investment processes.
We are a diverse and inclusive employer and would welcome interest from all sections of the community.
LGPS Central Limited is now seeking to hire a Junior Lawyer to be based in LGPS Central Limited's Wolverhampton office.
The RoleJunior Lawyer (NQ+/LPC/Law degree) - Legal and Corporate Secretarial (12 months maternity cover)Salary from £25,000 plus benefits
We are looking to recruit a newly qualified solicitor for a 12-month contract based in the Midlands. You will be a UK qualified Solicitor and have some experience working in a banking/finance/asset management markets team either during your training contract or post qualification.
The role will suit a Junior lawyer (NQ+) looking to develop their experience in a busy but collegiate team that is working in a face paced environment.
You will be providing first line support to internal teams and will have regular exposure to senior stakeholders within the business. You will work closely with the wider legal team and will be involved in interesting and varied projects working across the investment and non-investment teams as well as third parties.
As a Junior Lawyer NQ, you can expect to have responsibility on all aspects of corporate law and legal asset management matters. Matters you will assist on are likely to include:
- Under supervision, managing and executing transactions undertaken by the LGPS Central Legal team.
- drafting and/or reviewing client facing and third-party documentation (such as loan, capital markets and security documents, NDA's).
- liaising with the LGPS Central external counsel and other infrastructure functions such as risk, operations, finance, and compliance.
- Working collaboratively and providing input to new and existing policies and procedures to ensure that any changes to processes are within the permitted legal and regulatory framework.
- Providing support, as required, in relation to other matters being worked on by the LGPS Legal team, including regulatory change impacting the LGPS Central businesses and any structural reform.
- Providing NQ duties as well as secretarial and administrative support.
- Preparing documentation for attendance at Committee's and meetings.
- Maintaining the filing system, both electronic and hardcopy.
- Preparation and organisation of all required materials for internal and external meetings.
- Dealing with telephone requests and queries, responding directly, or directing callers to the appropriate team member. Screening and sorting of mail into order of priority for lawyers.
The successful candidate is expected to use a high degree of self-management and initiative and have a responsive and proactive approach.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV with a covering letter, demonstrating why you have the skills to perform this role, to email@example.com.RoleRole Purpose
Working for a major provider of asset management services to local government pension schemes you will be required to provide assistance to the Legal Team on advice on a broad range of financial/asset management and corporate services transactions.
The role will require a qualified junior Lawyer. The role will incorporate aspects detailed below. Reporting to General Counsel, you will ensure that the company operates within the law, offer counsel to senior management on legal issues, create an effective guardian of the organisation. The successful candidate will ensure legal compliance and limit legal risk exposure.Non-Financial:
Reports to: Relationships Internal:
- Health and Safety
- Performance reporting
- Heads of Service, Portfolio Managers and other LGPSC Staff.
Need to doOutcomes:
- Partners, Shareholders, Agencies, Suppliers, Legal, Brokers, Research providers.
Need to knowSkills/Knowledge/Experience/Competence:
- Support by providing and assisting to provide legal advice to the business teams in respect of all asset classes managed by LGPS Central and the corporate structure in particular capital markets.
- Assist the General Counsel and Senior Lawyer in setting policies and procedures that manage the legal impact of external factors Provision of pragmatic, business focused legal advice to seek to mitigate/optimise risk in respect of all matters within remit illustrating a clear understanding of legal, financial, regulatory, conduct and reputational risks.
- Support the Legal Team by ensuring relevant internal policies and standards are complied with, manage and provide oversight of legal impact of external factors disputes relating to asset management services and operations.
- Assisting the General Counsel & the Senior Lawyer in any input to relevant risk management forums including inputs from stakeholders and sharing outputs, engagement in industry bodies, engaging with regulators and government and supporting responses to consultations and proposed legislative change.
- Supporting General Counsel & the Senior Lawyer in all aspects of work with a high degree of independence and autonomy.
- Assist in anticipating issues and estimate legal risks strategically
- Base decision-making process on ethics and integrity
- Help create associations of trust and respect with key internal and external stakeholders
- Assist with the negotiation with external parties ( external counsel, clients) as appropriate
- Identify need for external advice; specify and co-ordinate with assistance the delivery of such advice
- Dealing with company secretarial matters
- Handling ad hoc queries from the business, supporting the deal teams, litigation and managing contentious issues.
- Continuous improvement in systems and processes within the legal team Cross team collaboration.
- Must be a qualified solicitor or a newly qualified solicitor with some experience of financial products
- Proven experience in a business environment
- Experience in a financial/asset management services environment would be a significant asset
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate, financial, litigation, employment law, etc)
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues effect organisations
- Can demonstrate some working knowledge of the UK regulatory framework (ideally for financial/asset management services)
- Experience of negotiating agreements
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
- Good judgement and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks
- In exchange the company offers a very challenging, rewarding and collegiate environment.
Values and BehavioursValues:
- Must be a qualified solicitor or a newly qualified solicitor with experience, ideally within an in-house legal function or from external counsel but with relevant experience. Experience of the asset management industry will be advantageous.
- Law degree.
- Client Focus
- Supportive Workplace
- Cutting Edge
- Open, fair and transparent
- Honest and trustworthy
- Empowered in making right decisions
- Accountability for results and delivery
- Aspire towards partner expectations
- Fair treatment of staff
- Challenge status quo and working collaboratively
- New thinking and continuous improvement
- Centre of excellence
LGP S Central Limited provides an exciting, supportive and family-friendly working environment, and we are committed to helping our people achieve their full potential and a healthy work-life balance.
We are an inclusive employer and offer equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual's age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.