Colab Exeter’s purpose is to provide a shared workspace for a range of organisations to collaborate effectively and by doing so, address key social challenges in the city. The aim of all joint work is to improve outcomes and life chances for a wide range of people, but particularly those with multiple disadvantages and complex needs.
CoLab Exeter are looking for a Treasurer to our Board of Trustees who shares our values and mission and who is able to offer the time, commitment, and financial expertise needed to help us realise our ambitions.
The overall role of the Treasurer is to maintain an overview of the organisation’s affairs, ensuring its financial viability and ensuring that proper financial records and compliance procedures are maintained.
This includes working with the Finance Team to:
- Monitor the financial standing of the charity and report to the Board on cash-flow forecasting, income streams, out-going expenses and the overarching strategic management of the organisation’s financial resources.
- Oversee the charity’s financial risk management process and report financial health to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals.
- Act as Chair of the Finance Committee and work with the Finance Team to develop finance systems and procedures.
- Work with the Board of Trustees and Leadership Team to review income strategy and diversification opportunities.
- Act as a bank signatory and assist the Finance Team to ensure all financial controls and systems are updated and maintained.
- Ensure that annual accounts are submitted to all relevant regulators in a timely fashion.
- Liaise with external auditors/independent examiners and Finance Team on financial issues and assist with the preparation and completion of annual audited accounts.
- Ensure that the organisation’s finances are responsibly managed and invested for the beneficiaries it serves.
Please see Reach for an information pack and full role summary.
As well as an interest in and knowledge of fundraising and charity accounts, we're also looking for someone who is able to understand the challenges and opportunities facing the organisation as we progress though our next phase of development. We are looking for a Treasurer who can offer new insights and business solutions that will contribute to strategic decisions around developing and implementing business and financial policy. This is an exciting time to join CoLab Exeter, and the Treasurer will be a valued member of the Board of Trustees working closely with the Chair of Trustees, Chief Executive and Finance Team.
Skills and Experience
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship
- Financial qualifications and professional experience, a qualified accountant would be desirable, with knowledge/experience of charity accounting.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain complex financial information to others in an accessible way.
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
- Skills and experience in strategic planning and business management.
- Experience or knowledge of social enterprise, social investment and/or franchising.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
Please see Reach for an information pack and full person description.
What's in it for the volunteer?
You will get to work with a fabulous Leadership Team, Board of Trustees and around 30 plus diverse organisations collaborating under one roof and providing key services for some of the most vulnerable of our community from the homeless, men and women in the criminal justice system, refugees, ex-military personnel and those with mental health issues.
If you're passionate about helping people with complex needs, can empathise with the challenges facing our client group and would enjoy a trustee role that is likely to broaden your horizons, we'd love to hear from you.
The Board meets four times per year – usually on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday at 4.30pm.
Before you apply
Applications are through Reach TrusteeWorks. Please send an up to date CV and covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role and what skills, qualities, and experience you can offer to the organisation and the Board of Trustees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline: 28 Apr 2021.