How this role fits into the business
The PR & thought leadership manager will play a significant role in developing our media engagement across the business, by proactively looking for and developing opportunities to promote key themes and support wider business objectives.
The role sits within the Corporate Affairs function, which covers PR, public affairs, thought leadership and investor relations. The PR & TL Manager will be expected to either lead or support on specific media engagement initiatives, including announcements on new deals, significant investments and corporate results. A core part of the role will be developing / writing relevant material that can be used to raise the company's profile in the media.
Recent high-profile communication initiatives include the Purpose of Finance project and thought leadership on ESG and investments into areas including social housing. There is real scope to develop the remit of the role, working with our investment team and other stakeholders within the business to bring to life key investment themes, including around ESG/climate change, social purpose and investment into the UK's infrastructure.
The PR & TL Manager reports to the Head of Corporate Affairs.Key responsibilities
Person specificationKnowledge, experience, skills and abilities (technical competencies)Essential:
- Devising, developing and delivering PIC's media strategy for targeted, integrated campaigns, working closely with internal stakeholders
- Point of contact for media enquiries, regularly working with national and trade media on a proactive and reactive basis
- Proactively identifying media opportunities and delivering coverage across broadcast, print and digital, including PR campaigns for thought leadership papers, key events, corporate announcements and other business activities
- Developing ideas for new TL publications (including repackaging of existing materials and data), and ghost writing those publications as necessary
- Writing and placing editorial content, including op-eds as well as LinkedIn blogs for company spokespeople.
- Identifying key spokespeople and ensuring they are correctly briefed and media trained
- Providing communications counsel and crisis communications support as required
- You must act with integrity.
- You must act with due skill, care and diligence.
- You must be open and co-operative with the FCA, the PRA and other regulators.
- You must pay due regard to the interests of customers and treat them fairly.
- You must observe proper standards of market conduct.
- Genuine interest in current affairs, especially as they relate to financial services
- Excellent knowledge of the media landscape and strong relationships
- Natural curiosity and willingness to learn
- Strong writing and media relations skills
- Proven news judgement and good political awareness
- Strong stakeholder management skills, with the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships across the business
- Knowledge of social media and ability to develop relevant opportunities
- Excellent team player and ability to work closely in a small team