Overview of the role
We are looking for a dynamic individual who is proactive, an effective communicator, and highly organised with extensive experience within Finance. The position of Financial Controller is responsible for leading the Finance function in the provision of insightful financial reporting and analysis, payroll services and support to the organisation. The position is to support the CFO and Head of Finance by the provision of timely and accurate reporting and to ensure compliance with all Tax, VAT and other such requirements.
The successful candidate will act as the first point of contact for any senior financial queries and play an active role in setting up and applying new financial processes and procedures.Overview of 18 Week Support
NHS insourcing and clinical service provider experts, 18 Week Support partner with NHS Trusts to help significantly reduce referral to treatment waiting times. We provide flexible, high-quality, weekend services. Every member of our team, from our world-renowned lead physicians and surgeons to our highly experienced nurses and healthcare assistants, is committed to providing first-class clinical care and an exceptional patient experience. Our Head Office is an exciting, fast paced and fun place to work. We expect excellence from our team and reward high motivation and productivity with excellent remuneration and opportunities to grow your career.Key Responsibilities Financial and Strategic Management
Financial and Management Accounting
- Understand and manage the financial performance of the organization (i.e. revenue, expenditure, profit) and Finance KPI's
- Execute 18 Week Support's strategy and operational plan, enabling the Finance team to deliver on business outcomes
- Preparation of the monthly Finance report for the Finance Committee
- Create monthly and annual reports to identify results, trends, and financial forecasts
- Complete statutory accounts for all relevant reporting periods and ensure timely lodgements are made to statutory authorities for all entities.
- Oversee the preparation of corporation tax returns, planning of quarterly payments, and VAT position (monitoring the need to register).
- Management of month end closedown
- Ownership of balance sheets, cashflow, consolidations and financial reporting
- Preparation of monthly bank reporting pack and covenant compliance
- Undertake financial reporting and analysis at relevant periods (i.e. weekly, monthly, ad-hoc) and ensure this is accurate delivered according to established timelines and standards.
- Oversee the preparation of annual budgets, rolling cash flow forecasts and, in conjunction with the relevant strategy team members, prepare business plans for internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are properly recorded, filed, and reported
- Ensure the payments function operates efficiently and effectively whilst maximising working capital balances. This includes day-to-day management of banking facilities and payments (i.e. payroll, suppliers).
- Oversee payroll process and returns and drive continuous improvement in efficient, quality of reporting and service to employees.
- Coordinate external auditors to ensure a timely and effective process. This includes the provision of financial data, answering of related queries and financial management compliance.
- Undertake company secretarial activities for all group companies (i.e. maintaining statutory records, preparing annual returns to set deadlines)
- Take responsibility for ensuring that the financial processes, systems and controls are operating effectively
- Implement and manage against policy and procedures, quality standards, timelines and reporting parameters.
- Implement and maintain appropriate controls to ensure accuracy and to mitigate risk and breaches.
- Establish, monitor and advise on accounting policies.
- Review the use of existing resources, processes, systems and tools and suggest ways to improve.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of service delivery and internal practices and processes.
- Sets responsibilities and performance objectives for team staff to achieve operational plan objectives.
- Actively manage performance requirements of team members to ensure key performance outcomes are achieved.
- Ensure all team members are aware of policies and procedures and fully comply with them.
- Monitor and manage employee turnover and unplanned absences to agreed measures.
- Monitor and manage resource and workflow allocation, which includes leave approvals and workload allocation.
- Recruit, manage, develop and retain staff; growing staff satisfaction, engagement and retention.
- Communicate stakeholder expectations to the team and monitor to ensure these are met and maintained.
- Provides reports to and liaises with regulatory and statutory bodies.
- Meets with internal stakeholders to understand their requirements, concerns and implications
- Manage relationships and services by external auditors, internal auditors and bank officials
- The Board
- The Executive Group
- Senior Management Team
- Budget Holders
- Payroll Bureau
- Banks and other Financial Institutions
- ACA/ACCA qualification with 3 - years of post-qualified experience
- Demonstrable experience in managing a finance team with a strategic and operational focus; including achieving goals by effectively coordinating the integration of resources, processes, systems, people and policies.
- Demonstrable experience working in a commercial environment.
- Financial literacy, including relevant experience in financial management and forecasting.
- Thorough understanding of financial functions (incl. Payroll), operations and legislation (i.e. Generally Accepted Accounting Practice (GAAP) in the UK, FRS102, International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Highly developed interpersonal and professional communication skills (written and spoken).
- Ability to interpret and convey complex accounting/financial information, issues and legislation in order to ensure understanding of implications.
- Intermediate computer literacy, including competent use of Microsoft Office with advanced skills in Excel and experience in operating accounting packages (experience of Microsoft Dynamics would be an advantage).
- Demonstrated experience in risk management.
- Relevant experience working in fast moving, dynamic and growing business
- An understanding of the challenges and issues facing the wider health sector
- Competitive Salary
- Performance Based Incentive Scheme
- Pension Scheme
- Private Healthcare (Aviva)
- Flexible Working
- 25 Holidays (+ Bank Holidays)
- Bike 2 Work Scheme
Our diverse and dynamic team is dedicated to creating a positive and collaborative environment for everyone to thrive in. We have open communication between our teams, encouraging employees to come forward with new ideas, and make our business even better.
Employee well-being and team bonding are very important to us, we hold various company events throughout the year to show our appreciation to our greatest asset - our people! We are currently undertaking a full refurbishment and expansion of our office, situated in an amazing location in the heart of London. We are also proud to have a dedicated team in Lichfield. Head Office is vibrant and fun with views across the cityscape.