Orbex is Europe's most exciting space company. You will be joining a team developing one of the most innovative, high-tech orbital space launch vehicles in the world, and you'll have the chance to earn an ownership stake in the company.
We are a highly motivated and focused team, and we are looking for colleagues who share our vision of creating Europe's first fully private space access company.
We are looking for team members who will fit in immediately and hit the ground running.Role
We are looking for an experienced Composite Design Engineer
Qualifications And Skills
- Develop composite component and assembly designs, satisfying challenging and often conflicting structural, environmental and manufacturing requirements and constraints.
- Detail moulding, trimming and assembly tooling along with manufacturing datasets such as digital laminate definitions and lamination handbooks.
- Provide hands on engineering support to hardware prototype development and testing.
- Managing multiple tasks and work packages to match priorities.
- Bachelor or Master's degree in an Aerospace/Mechanical or other related Engineering field.
- Proficient use of CAD software and composite specific tools such as CATIA CPE/FIBERISM/Laminate tools in the definition of composite parts, mechanical and bonded assemblies.
- Ability to size laminates and structural joints based upon good industry practices.
- Excellent working knowledge of design and manufacturing methods appropriate to pre-impregnated carbon fibre composites for high performance applications.
- Proactive and strong team player with excellent communication skills able to with multi-disciplined and multi-national teams.
- Adaptable and able to work under pressure to tight timescales across multiple concurrent workstreams.
- Proven experience in engineering high performance and high reliability carbon fibre composite components and assemblies typified by aerospace, space, motorsport or premium sports products.
- Experience of developing composite hardware from concept through manufacturing to verification by physical test.
- Experience defining requirements for mechanical systems and components.
- Structural and/or thermal analysis experience by classical methods and FEA (ESAComp, NASTRAN, Optistruct, ANSYS).
- Fluency with SOLIDWORKS CAD.
- Familiarity with the requirements of engineering for space applications including environmental effects, loading conditions and suitable materials and coatings.
- Familiarity with industry standards and references (e.g. MIL-HDBK-5/17, ECSS-E-HB-32, NASA-STD-5001, GSFC-STD-7000).
- Demonstrable experience of delivering multifunctional composite engineering solutions.
Orbex is a fast-moving company with a lot going on every single day. We are looking for a very senior colleague who will work hard, deliver reliably and put the team above themselves without any need for supervision.
Typically you will be:-
- A creative, lateral thinker.
- Flexible, dedicated, trustworthy.
- Adventurous and team-oriented.
- Calm under pressure.
In this specific role you will need to be:-
- Comfortable with extreme multi-tasking.
- Highly detail-oriented.
- Energetic and proactive.
- Able to work long hours over the next 2-3 years.
This role is based in Forres at Orbex's headquarters.
Orbex Forres is located at the foot of the Scottish Highlands, near Inverness. It's close to the spectacular coastline, wild beaches and amazing wildlife of the Moray Firth, as well as being a short distance from the world famous Loch Ness, and Aviemore ski resort.
If you enjoy adventurous outdoor pursuits in extraordinary natural environments, the coast and highlands around Forres offer an ideal location.
Mountaineering, rock climbing, abseiling, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, camping, sailing, surfing, motorbiking and skiing are all within easy reach of our main UK factory, and many members of our team participate in adventure sports in the vast, beautiful settings of Sutherland.
If you enjoy drone flying, wildlife or landscape photography, some of the most spectacular vistas in the world are directly at your doorstep.Security
You must be a UK or European citizen, from a country that is a signatory to the MTCR convention. You may be required to undergo security screening.Benefits
For the right candidate we offer an excellent benefits package that includes:-
- Competitive salary
- An equity stake in the company
- Relocation assistance where appropriate
- Company Cycle to Work scheme
Powered by JazzHR