Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs - our financial wellbeing and our planet's future - are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that's in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.Job Description
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Commercial Finance Manager to join the Central Finance team in Octopus Investments on a permanent contract, reporting directly to the Head of Commercial Finance.
The Commercial Finance Manager will be responsible for business partnering, owning financial cycles for their assigned areas (Retail Fundraising business and Marketing centre of expertise areas within Octopus Investments), and contribute to the overall team's goals. They will develop and produce core business KPIs, provide insightful financial performance analysis on projects / initiatives and actively identify opportunities and risks to drive business performance.
In addition to solid technical knowledge and first-class analytical skills, the right candidate will have a collaborative approach and will appreciate fast-paced learning and open feedback culture. They will plan and execute multiple projects well and will enjoy delivering to tight deadlines. They will be working with a wide range of stakeholders and demonstrate the skills to manage these relationships professionally, influencing others and gaining the confidence of senior stakeholders.Key Responsibilities
- Business partner various senior stakeholders, build and maintain close relationships as the finance expert and trusted "go-to-person" for your partnering business areas.
- Ownership of financial cycles for your business area(s) including monthly reporting, quarterly forecasting and annual budgeting process.
- Development and analysis of core business KPIs measuring progress against business objectives and key results.
- Value-add presentation of financial performance / data, identifying business opportunities and risks to promote discussions and assist decision-making.
- Finance sign-off on business spend in your partnering areas and actively identify opportunities the help budget owners in driving cost efficiencies.
- Effectively manage multiple workstreams with excellent planning and execution.
- Ad-hoc business projects / initiatives / new products - providing analytical support and Collaborate effectively with other finance and cross-functional teams.
- Continuously drive improvements on processes, controls and way of working, initiate changes and follow up with actions.
- Qualified accountant (ACA / CIMA / ACCA or equivalent) with 2+ years post-qualification experience.
- Comprehensive financial modelling and data analysis skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects and workstreams, with a proven track record of delivering results and meeting tight deadlines.
- Effective presentational skills (verbal and written), owning both data and narrative.
- Excellent communication skills demonstrating a robust and confident character.
- Quick learner, curious and have a continuous improvement mindset.
- Embrace change, high energy and thrive in a fast-paced high performing culture.
Additional InformationOur Values and DNAAnd While These Are The Principles That Guide Us As An Organisation, Our DNA Goes Even Further, By Revealing Our Inner Strength
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold.
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we're always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.What We Offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.