Job Title: Head of Mass ParticipationSalary: £54,046 per annum (London Office), £49,131 per annum (Home based)Hours: 35 hours per week Type of Employment: Permanent Dept and Location: Supporter Engagement & Development -dual location (home/office) Line Manager: Deputy Director of Supporter Experience & Engagement Direct line reports 3 x Mass Participation Project Managers, Mass Participation Assistant (1 direct and 1 indirect)
Cancer is different for young people. Our vision is a world where cancer doesn't stop young people from living their lives - and our job in making that vision a reality is to improve the experience of every young person with cancer in the UK.
Teenage Cancer Trust has been a hugely successful organisation for many years - leading the way in specialist support for young people with cancer in the UK and across the globe. We're driven by what young people with cancer need and are the UK's leading charity dedicated solely to the treatment, care and support of 13-24-year olds with cancer.
What's clear is that we have significant opportunities to further expand and deepen our impact - but doing that in the face of the challenges to income posed by the current pandemic is going to be tough.
We have just gone through a change process to ensure we have the structure that enables us to stabilise our income now and grow it over the coming years. We have a talented team of fundraisers who are not daunted by the challenge ahead, far from it, they have achieved more than we ever thought was possible in the last year and we're looking for a Head of Mass Participation who can rise to the challenge with them, seize opportunities and be the strategic lead for the Mass Participation team.
Although Mass Participation income has been hit hard by the pandemic, we have adapted and developed a sector leading multi-million pound virtual events offering. We're certain with the right leader in place we can create a sustainable long term mass participation programme that combines opportunities across both the virtual and challenge events space. You will lead your Team to deliver and grow this area of the fundraising mix, in line with our ambitious targets. The role will lead by example using expert knowledge and insights about virtual and challenge events opportunities and fundraising.
This is not an organisation - or role - that's about more of the same or one size fits all. We are looking for the right leader, with the right approach to make sure that every fundraiser in their team is excited about the future and enjoys what they are doing.
This role has the potential to be life changing - not only for young people with cancer - but also for you and the talented, experienced teams you will be leading and empowering.
We need our leaders to bring brilliant cross-organisational leadership experience with stacks of emotional intelligence and stakeholder engagement skills. You will thrive when working in partnership and making alliances. Success and strength are not about us doing everything - it's about getting everything done with others. At Teenage Cancer Trust we succeed, fail & learn together and are stronger than the sum of our parts.
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.Job Description MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To lead the Mass Participation Team and be the charity's Mass Participation strategic lead. You will be a strong and visible leader of Mass Participation activities across the charity, driving and developing long term income generating strategies and subsequent implementation plans to maximise existing and emerging opportunities.
The role will use their expert knowledge of Mass Participation activities to lead the delivery and ongoing development of the Mass Participation strategy and manage staff engagement throughout this process. You will play a key role as part of the fundraising leadership team and work collaboratively with the other Heads of Fundraising to deliver multi-million-pound growth from a diverse and integrated fundraising portfolio and a significant supporter base.
You will maintain oversight of the Mass Participation portfolio and partner with the Marketing and Communications Directorate to develop compelling digital marketing plans and content to drive engagement to recruit participants and volunteers; alongside partnering with the Fundraising Standards & Operations Team to develop insight, processes and deliver short- and long-term stewardship supporter engagement activities as well as building reliable and detailed reporting.
The role will lead by example using expert knowledge and insights about Mass Participation fundraising, marketing and supporter development to capitalise on opportunities in this market space to drive income to benefit young people affected by cancer.ROLE FOCUSIncome Generation and Strategy Development
Relationship Management and Development
- Develop and lead the new Mass Participation strategy that will generate the multi-million-pound income needed to exceed our 5-year financial targets.
- Accountable for the delivery of a multi-million-pound budget - with an income of circa £5 million from our Open and Managed events, virtual challenges (including an extensive Facebook Challenge programme) and London Marathon programme.
- Provide performance reporting and analysis for SLT and Trustees on the effectiveness of the Mass Participation Programme.
- Drive the effective management, development and growth of our four priority programmes in line with planned investment and returns; London Marathon, managed third party challenges open challenges and virtual mass participation products.
- Oversee and manage high level strategic partnerships with key event providers.
- Develop and continuously analyse and review the strategic and operational plans and KPIs for all areas of the Mass Participation programme, maintaining a strong oversight on budgets and monthly and long-term forecasts ensuring they are ambitious, credible and achievable.
- Use expert knowledge to review and lead the development of robust business plans and the creation of internal processes and systems that are needed to underpin the delivery of the Mass Participation programme. Use expert knowledge, analysis, insight and influencing skills to embed these changes.
- Accountable for decisions to pilot, refine or stop Mass Participation events based on analysis of complex results and both qualitative and quantitative feedback.
- Oversee the delivery of the Mass Participation operational plans through the Mass Participation Project Managers, Fundraising Standards and Operations and Marketing and Communications Teams.
- Work with the Supporter Journey's Manager, Individual Giving and Community Teams to ensure that the programmes are integrated and that opportunities to maximise lifetime value of supporters are leveraged.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications and Database teams to ensure the development of marketing plans for virtual and challenge event activity is based on robust insight to drive the greatest returns.
- Closely monitor performance and work in an agile manner to develop opportunities and develop contingency plans to mitigate any identified risks to budgeted income.
- Cultivate and lead a culture of innovation, ensuring that a 'test and learn' culture prevails, and the programme remains relevant to existing and new supporters.
- Partner with the Volunteering Team to develop and deliver a strategy that supports volunteer recruitment to ensure effective event delivery.
- Partner with the Innovation & NPD Team to contribute to ideation and support the development and delivery of pilots for new mass participation events.
Reporting, Review and Evaluation
- Oversee and manage the charity's strategic relationship with the London Marathon and provide recommendations for our long-term approach.
- Identify and manage key new relationships that will help drive the Mass Participation programme (e.g. on-line giving platforms, event suppliers) to ensure we remain competitive and relevant in the marketplace.
- Demonstrate a high level of expertise and champion best practice in Mass Participation - this should include networking with external contacts from other charities to help identify future areas of investment.
- Work closely with the Supporter Engagement & Experience teams, Community Fundraising teams, Corporate Partnerships, Marketing & Comms and Fundraising Standards & Operations teams to drive income, collaboration and high levels of engagement around the programme by creating clear lines of responsibility and accountability between teams including the development of annual objectives, KPIs & SLAs.
- Strategically develop supporter journeys (recruitment, retention and development) to maximise lifetime value, in conjunction with other fundraising teams. Work closely with Database and Marketing and Communications teams to continually identify effective ways to communicate with supporters to drive engagement and income.
- Review, develop and embed new ways of working that will enable the Mass Participation team to work with supporters to uplift income, improve remittance rates and improve supporter satisfaction, and ultimately lifetime value.
- Lead and manage relationships with external consultants and contractors.
- Ensure due diligence is exercised with all suppliers and contractors.
Management and Leadership
- Lead the development of data collection and evaluation methods that enable us to make informed decisions about the Mass Participation programme and our approach.
- Ensure proposed strategies and newly developed internal processes fully support objectives in key areas of business development (financial, marketing, supporter recruitment, supporter care etc) and to ensure each activity is evaluated to improve performance and retain learning for future years.
- To report in a concise, effective and timely way to the Deputy Director of Supporter Engagement & Experience to enable the charity to confidently commit to service development expenditure.
- To ensure that records are kept in line with GDPR.
Policy and Procedures
- Lead and be accountable for the successful development of the Mass Participation team.
- Develop the Mass Participation team to maximise income from the Mass Participation portfolio, ensuring relevant training and encouraging continuous learning.
- Be a role model for excellence in Mass Participation Fundraising, coaching, giving and receiving feedback and developing teams across the charity.
- Provide leadership representation at a range of Mass Participation forums/networks across the UK.
- Use expert knowledge to drive, develop and continuously review the creation of our strategic approach, systems and processes to unpin the development of Mass Participation activities across the charity.
- Ensure close collaboration exists between Corporate Partnerships, Community Fundraising and the Supporter Care team to ensure donors have consistent and seamless experiences.
- Participate fully in the Fundraising Management Team, including inputting into the overall Fundraising Strategy and Organisational Goals.
- Ensure all fundraising activity complies with Teenage Cancer Trust policies and procedures and also the legislative requirements of fundraising.
- Be the charity's expert on best practice and compliance for Mass Participation.
- Ensure all risks have been identified pertaining to Mass Participation activities and that appropriate mitigation has been put into place.
- Review and ensure all Fundraising activities meet with the Fundraising Codes of Fundraising Practice, Charity Commission requirements, The Charities Act, The Data Protection Act, insurance requirements and all other relevant statutes.
- Represent the charity in a way that is consistent with its work and philosophy.
- Develop a high level of knowledge and understanding of Teenage Cancer Trust service, ethos and activities.
DISCLOSURE AND BARING CHECKS
- Carry out the duties of post in accordance with the Trust's policies and procedures on Health and Safety and take responsibility for ensuring personal health and safety.
- Ensure that all fundraising activity complies with Teenage Cancer Trust policies and procedures and also the legislative requirements of the territory.
- Undertake any other duties that are commensurate with the post as requested by your manager.
This role will have access to the CARE database which contains details of those we support and therefore subject to a Basic Disclosure check. KEY RELATIONSHIPS
Person Specification Essential Criteria Experience
- Internal - Deputy Directors, Fundraising Management Team, Community Fundraising team, Corporate partnerships, Individual Giving, Fundraising Standards & Operations, database and supporter care, Innovation and NPD and colleagues from across the charity including Finance, Fundraising Standards and Operations, Marketing and Communications, Celebrity Management and the Volunteering Team.
- External - Event Organisers, Event Contractors, on-line giving platform providers, product development agencies, marketing channel providers, relevant professional networks and membership bodies.
Knowledge and know how
- Proven track record of growing significant funds from Mass Participation activity
- In depth knowledge and experience of the Mass Participation market, (third party, open and virtual events)
- Significant experience of Fundraising management.
- Leading and driving a team, developing new ways of working and integrating activities across teams and departments.
- Proven ability to work to very tight deadlines in a dynamic and flexible environment.
- Able to manage change and embed new cultures and ways of working with other teams - people, processes and planning.
- In depth knowledge of developing and implementing national marketing strategies and plans.
- Setting, managing and delivering seven figure income budgets and developing the plans and strategies to underpin them.
- Developing and implementing process and systems to support activity across teams and departments.
- Supporter journey mapping and development.
- Planning and delivering the highest quality supporter care and communications.
- Use of a relationship-based database to support, inform and report on Fundraising.
- A strong understanding of the use of digital marketing to drive growth of Mass Participation.
- A strong understanding of best practice with regards to UK and overseas challenge event fundraising including risk management and legislation.
- A knowledge of Charity of the Year/partnership opportunities, development of bids and stewardship of key relationships.
- Contracting and managing supplier relationships.
- Digital Marketing.
- Experience of establishing systems and processes and gaining buy-in to working to them.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with proven ability to influence, persuade and negotiate.
- Strong decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to lead, motivate, and develop a team.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Evidence of organisational and 'political' awareness.
- Able to plan and manage projects and activities to tight deadlines.
- Confident using a computer in a networked environment and be experienced in using Microsoft Office software.
- Strong team worker and motivator of self and others.
- A confident leader able to develop collaborative and highly efficient relationships.
- An excellent communicator - in writing, face-to-face and over the phone.
- Organised, systematic approach to tasks.
- Results driven and passionate.
- An enthusiastic and helpful attitude - keen to solve problems and assist colleagues and supporters.
Able to work weekend events and undertake extensive travel through the UK as required.Values
Preferred Criteria Qualifications
- Commitment to the philosophy and ethos of Teenage Cancer Trust.
- A formal qualification in fundraising and/or marketing.
How to Apply
- Use of relationship database (CARE).
- Working with regionally dispersed teams.
- Experience of leading a team to deliver a charity owned Mass Participation event.
- Experience of developing a new charity owned challenge event from insight gathering stage through to pilot and evaluation.
Please apply by clicking the 'apply 'button below. Don't forget to complete a supporting statement to accompany your CV which sets out how you meet the requirements of the role. Closing date: 08th March 2021 1st Interview Date: Week commencing 15th March 2021 2nd Interview Date: Week commencing 23rd March 2021
We are committed to working towards ensuring Teenage Cancer Trust is a diverse and inclusive place to work. We welcome applications from everyone regardless of race, age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability.
At Teenage Cancer Trust we're committed to delivering a service to teenagers and young adults with cancer that is embedded in safeguarding and safe working practice guidance. In line with our safeguarding approach this role is subject to a DBS check (Disclosure and Barring Service).