As a Lead Developer, you'll be responsible for leading our Fulfilment Team of 5 Engineers. The Fulfilment Team develop tools, technology and solutions to ensure City Pantry deliver on-time, with accuracy, to the highest quality, and with swift resolution of critical issues.
The Team is made up of Engineers, Product Design and Product Management as well as a multitude of other talented people from across the business.Who is City Pantry?
We are City Pantry, and we're on a mission to change the way people work - both in the office and at home. We believe that good food helps people work closer, however far apart. So, now more than ever, we need a team of passionate people to drive our mission forward and make working life better, one meal at a time. And we need people like you to be a part of our food revolution.
We are delivering thousands of meals every day across the UK to some of the world's most iconic brands - Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Spotify and Buzzfeed, to name a few. We're working with a world of kitchens, over 600 of the best boutique chefs, street vendors, specialist caterers, iconic restaurants and supper clubs in the UK.What does the wider Engineering Team do?
Our Engineering team builds and maintains all of the infrastructure and applications responsible for choosing and delivering 10,000+ meals every day. From search engines, menu planning, eater management to integrations with courier APIs, our tools provide seamless ordering experience and help the UK's most influential companies feed their teams better and faster. On the other end of the platform, we create tools that help kitchens build their menus, track orders and improve outreach to maximise their potential.
The Tech team is currently 30 people covering Data, Product, Design and Engineering. We operate as three cross-functional teams each with a specific focus area Supply, Demand and Fulfilment.
The Fulfilment team's current focus areas are
- Booking efficient and reliable deliveries for our customers, whether it's by electric van, cargobike or on foot
- Collating accurate and up-to-date data to track deliveries and detect issues before they happen
- Tooling to ensure high quality food is picked up and delivered accurately
- Providing our outstanding Customer Care team with the tools they need to swiftly resolve any issues
As Engineering Lead for the Fulfilment team, you'll be responsible for managing five software engineers, the team's overall technical governance, and ensuring the team achieves its goals.The role
Day to day, you'll be
- Facilitating architectural discussions, guiding the team towards best practices, and diving into the code where necessary
- Working alongside your Product, Design and Data counterparts on discovery, planning and prioritisation, pulling in the domain expertise across the business to solve real problems
- Acting as a key link between Fulfilment and the other teams, so that we're all heading in the same direction as one Engineering group
- Guiding and developing your team, ensuring they are well motivated and focussed on the outcomes
As an experienced software engineer and manager, you'll have
- Experience leading small development teams
- Previously worked in a startup/scaleup environment
- Excellent application of software engineering best practices
- Development experience over a mix of APIs and SPAs
- Robust testing experience, including E2E
- Communication skills to negotiate and prioritise product features, tech debt, etc
The overall technical stack contains Typescript Node.JS web services using Express and NestJS, TypeORM with PostgreSQL; PHP 7.4 running Symfony using DoctrineODM with MongoDB; Angular frontends (and a bit of persistent AngularJS); supported by CircleCI, Github, JIRA and Notion; baked into Docker containers, all running on Google Cloud PlatformBenefitsWhat we're offering
City Pantry has taken all necessary precautions to keep our Pantlers safe during this strange time that we're experiencing together. Working from home has become the norm and employee wellbeing is at the forefront of our minds. We ensure we offer a helping hand remotely whenever it is needed, from mental health support to a comfortable home workspace. Some of our company perks are on hold for now, but here's what's on offer at the moment
- Unlimited holiday (yes, actually)
- Flexible Working Hours (we encourage regular breaks and being AFK (away from keyboard) to support your wellbeing)
- £2000 annual development allowance, for you to spend on developing your current skills and learning new things
- Access to various Mental Health & Wellbeing platforms, including wellbeing sessions, online health checks, tools to provide exercises via UnMind, Sanctus and our Employee Assistance Programme
- Mental Health First Aiders within the business, available to assist you with anything regarding your mental health and wellbeing
- An opportunity to get involved with our Employee Resource Group programme, whether you want to create your own ERG or join our current Racial Justice and Equality group
- Optional company wide training programme named 'Recipe for Success'
- Weekly virtual Yoga and Pilates to keep your mind, body and soul in shape
- Regular remote-social activities like virtual Escape rooms, Bingo, Scavenger hunts + much more
- Group Income Protection and Group Life Assurance for all Full-time employees
- A selection of People focused schemes, including 'Cycle to Work', 'Eyecare' and more, designed to give you an even better employee experience during your time at City Pantry
- Generous parental, adoption and/or foster care leave, so you're able to spend important time with your new family.
- Automatically enrolled into our Pension scheme after 3 months employment, where you will contribute 5% (or more if preferred) and City Pantry will contribute 3%.
- 20% off Santander Cycles (annual membership)
And when we're back in the office, you'll be entitled to all of the above as well as these perks below
- Free lunches Monday, Wednesday and Friday from an amazing array of our London Vendors
- Regular company socials (COVID-19 guidelines permitting)
- Five-A-Side Football Team
- Treats from our sweetest Vendor partners