Ember is a VC-backed start-up based in London. We're building a transformative financial experience that improves the lives of small business owners.
We believe that running your own business shouldn't be restricted to those with a financial background - so we're making launching, operating and growing a business simple enough for anyone to do. By using technology to automate accounting and tax, we're giving small business owners the time and headspace to focus on what really matters.
Since launching in May, we've taken on our initial group of early adopter businesses (you can read a few of our Trustpilot reviews here), established clear product-market fit and have successfully raised our £1.6m
We're now entering the next phase of our growth and scaling the product to reach more businesses across the UK, with the aim of getting Ember into the hands of 5,000
businesses by February 2022.Where do you fit in?
We're looking for an exceptionally talented Full Stack Engineer to join our tight-knit team. We pride ourselves in moving quickly; your role will be to help us deliver our exciting roadmap. You'll be working with the latest and greatest in open banking, payment automation and machine learning to help us spec out and implement new features. As a core member of the team, you'll also be heavily involved in helping us define direction both from a technical and product standpoint.
Expect challenging and fast-paced work, rapid growth and to work with an incredibly motivated and talented team.What does the role entail?
Why this role?
- Write code We're a small team moving exceptionally quickly. In the early days, we'll need all hands on deck - so we're looking for someone who can get their hands dirty and code, as well as someone who can offer technical leadership and vision.
- Contribute to the technical direction As a core member of the tech team, you will be responsible for helping to drive the technical side of the company, ensuring that we're building a platform that allows us to keep moving quickly whilst ensuring we still provide our users with the best possible experience.
- Help drive our roadmap We have an extremely exciting and ambitious roadmap. You'll work closely with the product team to help weigh and prioritise which features get implemented, and when.
- Impact As an integral part of our early team, you will have a tangible impact on revolutionising an industry; redefining what it means to launch, operate and grow a business here in the UK.
- Exceptional team We pride ourselves on having an exceptional team comprised of some of the most talented individuals in the industry. We love what we do.
- Ownership Not only will you have real say in the technical direction of the business, but you'll also own a part of what you're building. We offer share options to everyone in our team to ensure that when Ember wins, we all win.
- Trajectory We've built a platform our user's love, established clear product-market fit and secured the capital to help us grow. We have the foundations in place and the momentum to help us grow into one of the flagship London startups over the next 5 years.
Nice to haves (we don't expect you to have all of these)
- Minimum 3 years' experience working within a software engineering team
- Production experience using React Native, Node, Typescript and GraphQL
- Experience architecting technology solutions from the ground up
- Experience working with Databases
- Experience writing automated test suites
- Experience building continuous integration pipelines
- Experience working in fast-paced, agile teams
- Excellent communication skills
Our Tech StackFront End
- Experience in the FinTech space
- Experience with Expo or Prisma
- Experience with XML API's
- Experience hiring other developers
- Experience in product management
- Experience UX/UI design experience
- Exposure to Machine Learning frameworks
- Exposure to Open Banking or Making Tax Digital
- React Native
- Semaphore CI
- Digital Ocean
- Competitive Compensation All of our roles offer market competitive compensation. We review 6-monthly to ensure that you continue to be fairly compensated as you grow.
- Share options We believe that everyone should own a part of what they're building; that's why we give equity in the company to everyone on our team.
- Room to grow As part of a small, tight-knit team you'll have real impact and the opportunity to shape and expand your role as the company grows.
- Holiday We offer 24 days holiday a year, plus bank holidays - and we encourage you to use them all! You also have the option to take an additional 1-month unpaid leave every year.
- Working from home We have a beautiful WeWork space in central London, although we're happy for you to work from home when you need to.
- Health & Wellbeing We offer paid sick leave for both physical & mental health, health insurance and discounts on a variety of wellbeing services and gyms.
- Learning & Education We provide a learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, courses and conferences.
- Pension We'll automatically enrol you into our pension scheme with Smart Pensions. We pay 3% on top of your salary into this.
- Family We offer paid maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave, if you've been with us for at least 13 weeks.
- Community We provide lunch on Ember once a month & put on regular company-wide socials.
- Commuting Our central offices are super simple to get to via tube. For those of you who prefer to cycle, we're a member of the cycle-to-work scheme.