Who are we?
Friend MTS is the Emmy award winning leading global provider of content protection solutions to the media and entertainment industry.
Specialising in video security, we provide integrated technology products and security services to a global client base. That client base includes many of the world's largest pay-TV broadcasters and OTT platforms, as well as content owners ranging from television and movie producers to the world's most prestigious sports leagues and event operators.In a sentence . . .
We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Database Engineer to join our DevOps team offering the opportunity to work on a large-scale cloud-hosted application in use by many major global media companies from satellite / cable broadcasters to sports rights owners and movie studios.What will your job look like?
This role reports to the DevOps Team Leader, and will be based in our Birmingham office.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and maintaining the company's cloud-based database services while making continued service improvements as part of a rapidly growing technical organisation.Key daily tasks will involve
RequirementsWhat you need
- Serving as a DBA in all facets of database design, implementation, deployment, administration and maintenance.
- Working closely with the Engineering / Development teams to fine-tune database operations and queries.
- Supporting the production, staging and development environments.
- Designing and implementing databases using industry standard methodologies and best practices.
- Managing disruption free migrations and system shutdowns.
- Backup, restore and recovery operations.
- Planning and performing upgrades.
- Documenting services and creating SOPs.
- Performing database security operations.
- Monitoring database services, resolving issues and identifying and initiating quality improvement measures.
- Performance tuning and query optimisation.
Key Technologies, Skills And Tools
- BEng / MEng / BSc / MSc in relevant subject or equivalent experience.
- Extensive technical experience in MySQL database administration and management.
- Solid understanding of replication and clustering techniques and technologies.
- Experience managing databases and focussing on maintaining performance, integrity, replication, upgrades, migration and security.
- Extensive query / performance optimisation experience.
- Experience in database environment life cycle management and support of production, staging and development environments.
- Strong Linux experience with shell scripting skills.
- Experience with AWS database services including RDS and Aurora.
- MySQL 5.x (ideally Percona Tools)
- Amazon RDS - Aurora and MySQL
- Ubuntu / Linux
BenefitsWhy work with us?
- HashiCorp Terraform / Vault
- Ability to implement data warehousing ETL solutions
- Experience with NoSQL cloud-based database solutions, particularly in AWS.
If you are keen to work with the leading global provider of channel, content and platform protection services - get in touch today!
- Benefits include flexible working options, pension scheme, 25 days holiday which increases with length of service, plus extra day for your birthday, Group Health Insurance and more!
- You will work at the cutting edge of a high growth industry with an opportunity to shape the technical vision of a large cloud-based platform.
- You will have the opportunity to work on solutions for some of the biggest and most well known sports and entertainment brands in the world.
- Our hardware products are installed in broadcast head-ends worldwide, and our software components are deployed into millions of set-top boxes and streaming video players worldwide.