Principal Engineer - Functional Safety
Alexander Dennis - Any UK site
Competitive package + half day on Fridays
More than half of the buses that you see on the roads in the UK are made by Alexander Dennis. Globally, there's over 25,000 people every minute, of every day using our products. That's a lot of responsibility we have for keeping the world moving.
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, build and support the widest range of market leading buses and coaches using low, ultra-low and zero emission technologies. We have extensive experience in vehicle supply and support across Europe, Asia Pacific and North America, with a near 50 50 revenue split between UK and international markets.
We are excited about the opportunities arising from the global push for lower pollution and better air quality. The UK Government as well as many others around the world have committed to aggressive but achievable decarbonisation agendas and at Alexander Dennis, we are ready to deliver the green buses needed to transition to cleaner transport.
Engineering at Alexander Dennis takes many forms; however, in simple terms, we design buses and coaches by seamlessly integrating third party components (engines, transmissions etc.) into the Alexander Dennis designed Chassis and Body, all to meet our customers exacting requirements.
We're looking for a Principal Engineer - Functional Safety to join the established electrical and software Engineering team. In position, you will be the Principal authority within Alexander Dennis for the Engineering functional safety activities in the definition, design, development and verification of safety-related electrical/electronic systems, including the definition of and training in relevant standards, tools and processes.
- You'll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from an experienced and established team of experts in the UK and globally.
- It's a dynamic, fast paced environment where no two days are the same with daily challenges for you to overcome.
- As the principal Functional Safety expert within the business, you will have a good blend of operational and strategic responsibilities, with the opportunity to work alongside and influence colleagues across the NFI Group.
- We're at the forefront of automotive technology and we have projects covering various innovations in different markets in the UK, Europe, Asia Pacific and the Americas.
- You'll take great pride and satisfaction in seeing projects from concept through to vehicles you've worked on being in service with the customer.
- Career development is not necessarily linear, so whether you want to progress within Engineering, or perhaps your interests are in Operations or Procurement. Either way, you'll have plenty of opportunities available to you.
- You'll get to work cross functionally with colleagues around the world and influence up to executive level both internally and externally, with the ability to see the tangible results of your hard work.
- As part of the USD $2.9bn NFI Group, you can be assured that there will be plenty of opportunities made available to you. This could be in the UK or any one of our global locations around the world, including Toronto, Hong Kong or Auckland.
- On top of a competitive package, which includes progressive pay potential and pension, we also operate a half day on Fridays giving you that much needed work-life-balance.
- Due to the technical nature of the role, you will be educated to Degree level (or equivalent experience) in an Electrical/Electronic Engineering discipline, along with a track record of success in a similar role as defined in this advert.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the Automotive industry and in particular bus, coach or HGV. We would however also welcome applications from other, similarly complex electrical safety engineering environments.
- You should have experience in the application of safety engineering (e.g. IEC 61508/ISO 26262, or IEC 62061), with the ability to interpret standards and recommendations, tailoring them to suit the application. Furthermore, you should have experience of electrical/electronic system design, integration and testing.
- You will have strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate your ideas and thoughts in multidisciplinary teams both on site and remotely.
- Passionate about what you do, you will be able to lead direct and indirect teams over multiple locations.
- Highly analytical and with strong problem-solving skills, you will take great pride in seeing projects through to completion.
In your new role you will
- Lead and co-ordinate the definition and use of internal standards, tools and processes to fulfil the Functional Safety Lifecycle within Alexander Dennis.
- Represent Alexander Dennis as part of a team across the NFI Group to collaborate and align on a common approach to Functional Safety and Security.
- Undertake, lead and train engineers and system owners in the determination and verification of functional safety requirements.
- Initiate, develop and maintain safety cases in collaboration with the system owners.
- Perform Hazard Analyses and Risk Assessments (HARA), specifying the related safety goals.
- Perform Failure Mode Effect Analyses (FMEA) and/or Fault Tree Analyses (FTA) as appropriate to support the definition of mitigating or preventative actions.
- Specify, plan and execute verification activities at the system and/or vehicle level as appropriate.
- Maintain the generated artefacts and work products for traceability within Engineering tools, primarily Siemens Polarion.
- Work with system owners and suppliers to clearly define and manage responsibilities and deliverables; reviewing and approving internal and external work products.
- Prepare and present high-quality documentation and papers for review and communication with key stakeholders.
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you. Alongside uploading your CV, it would be great if you could include a short covering letter detailing four or so reasons why you are suited to the role.