Memrise is an award-winning language learning app with a growing user base of over 50 million, regularly featured on the app stores, with big, ambitious plans for the future.
By leveraging lots of brain science and authentic content from real local speakers, we're striving to enrich people's consciousness and help people achieve confident, real-world language skills in just a few short months.
Memrise is going through a period of rapid innovation as we explore new ways of learning and new ways of selling our product. Much of this work means changes to our backend, and for that, we need your help.
You will join the Platform team at Memrise, working with our small team of backend Python engineers to meet the growing needs of the business. Immediate projects include improvements to the way we handle subscriptions, providing better integration with our payment providers, and supporting new features that are being built by our mobile teams.
The Platform team is a cross-functional team made up of infrastructure, backend, full stack and analytics engineers. We ship incrementally, we learn all the time, and we regularly invest in making our jobs easier so we can do more to help the business and our learners. Our backend is a well-tested, well-monitored Django monolith that we deploy several times a day.
This position is open as a remote position to anyone in the UK, and we anticipate the contract to be for three to six months.
Our team values empathy for the people we work with and the community we work for. We support each other. We are purposeful in our actions and effective at collaboration.
You'll be in a key leadership role of a team that is around 15 strong with growth plans to increase that number. You will be part of our engineering leadership and participate in crucial decisions alongside Product and Design team members.
This is a UK based remote position.Requirements
- Work with mobile engineering teams to support new features and improvements to the development process
- Improve the way Memrise handles payments and subscriptions
- Contribute to backend development at Memrise, including discussion, code review, planning and debugging.
What you'll need
- Experience developing scalable, mission critical transactional systems with Python
- Working knowledge of modern testing practices
- Ability to get things done quickly and correctly even in unfamiliar areas
- Experience running and debugging production systems
- Excellent written communication skills, as evidenced in design documents, bug reports, code reviews and the like
- Comfortable using Git and GitHub for day-to-day work
- Experience working with relational databases, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
Would be great if you had
- Working familiarity with Django
- Experience developing services deployed as containers, ideally running on Kubernetes
What's it like to work here?
Interesting. Fun. Challenging. Serious. Odd. Silly. It just depends on the day, really. But whatever day it is, we love what we do helping people all around the world learn more about languages, new cultures and each other. They use our product to broaden their minds and horizons. And that feels pretty good.
You'll join our UK team of open-minded, big-hearted, goal-oriented 'Memrisians', made up of linguists, developers, designers, marketers and more, all working together to do great things. Get in touch if you want to join the team.
Find out more here https //www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRrLOi6hmeA&feature=youtu.be