Arcola Energy is one of the fastest growing hydrogen technology companies in the UK, working with some of the most progressive local authorities, fleet operators and OEMs to meet their zero-emission targets. Arcola has more than 10-years of experience in delivering solutions that address the deployment gap between rapidly evolving low-carbon technologies and production-ready solutions.
Position: Project Systems Engineer
Reports to: Engineering Director
Location: Dundee/flexible - the job holder will support a project based between London and Dundee as well as other international opportunities. Arcola Energy are currently working from home.
You will be part of the Systems Engineering team and be responsible for taking the development of a hydrogen fuel cell drivetrain through Arcola's product development process based on the Systems Engineering V-model.
You will work with the Mechanical Design, Electrical, Control, Thermal, Homologation, Test & Development and Manufacturing teams to bring together contributions from each discipline and ensure engineering deliverables are ready for design and gateway reviews. A large part of your work will be focused on requirements capture at a vehicle, system, subsystem and component level including engineering work to support design decisions around system architecture and component selection.
The role will be process-driven using the product development framework to ensure safety, quality and compliance of the outputs.
Besides working with the Arcola engineering and PMO teams, there is an outward facing element to the job working with customers, suppliers, vehicle operators and external test facilities to achieve the best outcomes for the system development.
• Follow the Arcola's product development model to deliver engineering outputs supporting vehicle development
• Requirements capture at vehicle, system, subsystem and component level
• Work with powertrain modelling team to ensure simulation represents system and duty cycle/operating conditions as accurately as possible
• Ownership of key engineering documents including System Boundary Drawings, Engineering Change Documentation, FMEA and FTA, working with the various engineering teams to ensure all content is complete
• Contribute to DVP & R working with Test & Development team
• Support BOM development activities, engaging with the supply chain management team
• Work with PMO to support project scheduling and resource estimations. Also, to provide engineering/technical reporting updates.
• Contribute to Operational Risk Assessments and Safety documentation
• Work with quality and compliance team to ensure designs meet codes, standards and regulations
• Supporting other Arcola Energy activities where required.
• The position is based from home with frequent site visits to Arcola facilities in Scotland and customer sites/test facilities as required.
Experience and competencies:
• Engineering degree
• Working knowledge of the Systems Engineering V-model
• Experience developing DFMEA
• Familiarity with Fault Tree Analysis
• Experience developing and working to a Design Verification Plan
• A good understanding of electric drivetrain architectures and familiarity with different types of components such as batteries, motors, power electronics
• Awareness/experience of Design-for-Manufacture and Design-for-Maintenance
• Good data presentation skills (reporting and documentation)
• Well organised, comfortable following process and excellent attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills
• Willingness to work cross-functionally in the Arcola team.
What you will receive in return:
• Competitive salary, based on experience
• 28 days annual leave including bank holidays
• Workplace pension scheme contributions
• Support towards CEng accreditation and your membership fees paid for IET/IMechE
• Flexible work arrangements - we are currently working from home
• An opportunity to directly impact projects - from concept through to production
• Free tickets to the Arcola Theatre (subject to availability), and Arcola staff discount on food and drink in café/bar.
Arcola Energy is a privately owned company and offers a truly independent view of one of the fastest growing industries that will lead the road to zero emissions. Our independence also allows us to focus on what we believe in - products which make a positive contribution to society, delivered with total commitment to quality, safety and compliance.
We deliver solutions that significantly improve environmental performance compared to
incumbent technologies, contributing to the development of cleaner, greener, more secure, more
democratic energy and transport systems, enabling healthier living for everyone.
Arcola Energy is committed to fostering a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future team, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender or gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.