Citymapper makes cities usable, helping people move through urban spaces, getting people from A to B.
We have launched in more than 60 cities so far. We've found that having a broad and deep set of data on the transportation options in that city is key to ensuring a great experience for our users.
We are launching many new cities to bring Citymapper to users everywhere.
We provide essential information for millions of users, letting them know when the next bus is arriving, which trains are disrupted, and what time they should leave to get home. We need engineers to help build and maintain the systems that do that.
Good transport data, especially realtime information, is why our users love our app.What You'll Do
Fun projects we recently took on
- Add and maintain sources of realtime departure information in new and existing cities. Lots of feeds and cities require non-trivial and unique strategies in order to reliably show the correct departure times to the user. "When does my bus arrive?"
- Find ways to turn disruption messages from agencies into useful notifications and re-routing for our users. Check out what we did in NYC. "Is the metro blue line running?"
- Integrate private transport operators into our data streams. Public transport is being complemented by private transport operators in most of the cities we cover - bikes, moped, scooters, cars, etc... "Where's the nearest electric bike to rent?"
- Improve the monitoring and operational systems necessary to keep these 100s of realtime data feeds working. "Why are we not showing trains in Lyon?"
- Deployed a real time monitoring system to help commuters in Hong Kong navigate complex route diversions
- Built a system to approximate TfL train predictions based on sparse data
- Added real time crowdedness information to help users decide which vehicle to use
Ultimately we don't have hard requirements
beyond needing you to be smart, curious, and keen to get stuck in. However we are looking for candidates with at least 1 year of professional software engineering experience within a team. Attention to detail and experience wrangling data (especially transport data) is a plus.
This is a remote contracting position
for a 3-6 month full time contract positionOur stack for transport data
- Tech main language Python 3
- Tooling GitHub, AWS, SQL, Linux
- Best practices code reviews, tests, CI
- Contractor position in a remote-first team
- Working on something interesting and meaningful - help to make cities usable
- Working with a not-too-big, diverse engineering team
- Arcane public transport knowledge with which to dazzle your friends
We believe that diverse teams are the best teams and we're proud to be an equal opportunities employer. We welcome and will consider all applications regardless of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marriage, pregnancy, maternity, race or nationality, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation (and any other status protected by applicable law)