Application deadline is Sunday the 28th of February.This is a remote opportunity that requires you to be in the European time zone (+/-3 hours).
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer with experience working with Ruby on Rails and having professional experience with React and Typescript. We're looking for someone who is a collaborative and naturally inquisitive problem solver.
Working in small, focussed, cross-disciplinary teams, you'll collaboratively tackle interesting product challenges in a fascinating domain. Our product helps businesses take smarter decisions to get the right product to the right place, at the right time, for the right cost. Success for our customers means the ability to launch new products into new markets, meet demand and remain environmentally conscious.
You'll be joining an internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team with a clear vision and strategy. We hire smart people and give them the autonomy to help shape the way we work, define processes and constructively challenge each other.
The salary range for this position is GBP 60-80k.
RequirementsRequired professional experience
- Working with our growing product team to deliver incredible user experiences
- Build meaningful relationships with your cross functional team and the entire business
- Coaching and Mentoring the team and getting back the same way
- Innovate on our product, engineering principles, development practices and tools
- Deliver loosely coupled and cohesive software
- Define GraphQL endpoints for Queries and Mutations
- Contribute to our high test coverage across backend and frontend code-base
with the following technologies
- Ruby on Rails (minimum 4 years)
- Intimate knowledge of Ruby
Would be great if you're curious about or familiar with
- other backend languages (e.g. Ruby, Python, Node, Go)
- React Testing Library
- ES 2018
- GraphQL, Apollo
- Event Sourcing
- Domain Driven Design
- Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet
- Docker, ECS, EKS, Kubernetes
- ElasticSearch, Logstash, Kibana (ELK)
- Fair salary and a pension scheme
- Internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team with a clear vision and strategy
- 25 days holiday a year plus bank holidays
- We offer flexible working, including parent-friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days. We value outcomes over face-time. You're free to work however you work best.
- Remote friendly (but we're mindful that timezones can be tricky so we restrict to +/- 3hrs GMT)
- £500 annual self-development budget for conferences and trainings - learning is important to us
- Excellent maternity and paternity packages
- Regular company socials
- Cycle to work scheme
- Nursery salary saving
- Weekly Yoga and discounts at local gyms
Founded in 2017, there are now over 90 of us. Our team comes from all walks of life, and we welcome diverse voices and views to help us solve problems in the industry in a fresh way. Our Operational and Commercial teams are experts in logistics, freight forwarding and growing a business and our Product and Engineering team have experience in international B2B marketplaces, disruptive communication platforms, running product development agencies and financial products.
Our founding team of Alex Hersham, Jan Riethmayer and Richard Fattal have wide ranging experience in the shipping and logistics industry, financial services, machine learning and online platform business. They came together to launch Zencargo in 2017 and since then have overseen rapid growth scaling a team across Europe, working with fast-growing businesses - we work with 30% of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies in the UK - as well as enterprise customers.
Zencargo raised a large Series A earlier this year and the team expanded to 90 people. We're backed by some of Europe's leading Venture capital firms, Local Globe (Transferwise, Zoopla, Citymapper), HV Holtzbrinck Ventures (Zalando, Rocket Internet), Picus Capital (founded by Alex Samwer who co-founded Rocket Internet) and Samos Investments (Betfair, Ocado, Charlotte Tilbury).
What to expect from the application process 15-30 min phone call - To find out more about you and for us to tell you about the role
60 min value interview - 30 mins is spent asking you behavioural questions - these are the same set of questions we would ask anyone joining, regardless of role or seniority- and 30 mins for you to ask any questions about the business
90 min competency interview
A fair chanceEvery role in the Zencargo team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone, regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, you. More than just encouraging your application, we're committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope and intend) cultivates an environment of belonging. We open our doors to those who share these motivations.