Here at NPS we have a simple set of values that sets out who we are as a company. We are:Intelligent -
we make the right choicesInvolved -
our enthusiasm creates energyInnovative -
we always ask what's nextOur business is all about making lives safer, healthier, better managed and mobile
Our software underpins critical police, health, housing and local government services, ensuring delivery of the right data at the right time to protect and improve people's lives.
We're as committed to the positive social outcomes of our customers' services as they are, which means we put people first. In the interfaces and systems we design, and the software support and development service we provide.Our story
Across the world, billions of people every day rely on the services and benefits provided by their police, health services, housing and local government. Their home, welfare, wellbeing and security often depend on them.
We create and manage the software that connects people with these services. We design smart interfaces and data processes to ensure services are easy to use, always on, relevant, accurate and trusted.
Using internet, mobile and AI technology, we are designing new tools that maximise the positive experience people have of critical services, and helping to make sure they are safer, healthier, better managed, and able to organise their life on the go.
Working closely with our customers - the service providers - we define people's needs today and in the future - and work intelligently to continuously improve our software products and data management.
Our software underpins the performance of our customers as they serve their customers. Our constant focus is making sure our software is stable, efficient, cost efficient and secure.
We're proud of the role we play, improving people's lives through dependable critical services. With a growing number of customers globally, we're going to make a difference to millions of people more.
Based in the UK but working around the world, our 2,000 employees help improve the services that matter most.
We are now part of the NEC corporation, a leader in the integration of IT and network technologies that benefit businesses and people worldwide - this brings in new opportunities without limits for growth and innovation.Job Description
To provide a high quality, proactive infrastructure support and management service to a large multi-client community as part of a customer focused support team. Working to contracted SLAs and delivering best in class services to our customers.
Specialising in the Unix, Ubuntu/Centos/Oracle Linux server technology area, the Unix Engineer has responsibility for ensuring the effective operation and availability of the supported infrastructure for both external and Internal customers.
Working within the ITIL process guidelines the team is responsible for dealing with Incidents and Services Requests, capacity management and monitoring as well as reducing the number of Incidents logged though proactive problem management.
To deal with support calls and implement technical change/project work for our client in an efficient and timely manner. Working to contracted SLAs delivering best in class service to the customer.Team Lead Responsibilities
Acting as a deputy for and supporting the Service Delivery Manager Support (SDM) and the infrastructure engineers:
Main Technical Responsibilities
- Supporting the SDM in managing the workload of the team to ensure that all support Incidents and change/project requests are dealt with promptly, efficiently and within the SLA timescales
- Supporting the SDM with the overall management of the team.
- Ensuring Quality Management targets and Objectives set by the SDM are actively monitored with team members as part of the appraisal process and are met.
- Ensure that relevant information is effectively communicated to the team from the SDM and ITSS senior management, and making sure that feedback is given and open communication is maintained, both informally and via the regular team calls.
- On-going day to day liaison with on and off-shore team leaders. Providing feedback and assisting the SDMs ensuring that a high standard of output is achieved by the team.
- Responsibility for the team rota, reviewing and keeping it up to date daily. Liaising with counterparts and ESC to agree and ensure cover for leave periods across the teams ensuring resource requests are dealt with.
- Point of contact for all Unix issues for the business and escalation to SDM as necessary.
- Work with team to ensure alerts/incidents are turned into Problem records to be addressed if trend analysis suggests there is a wider issue. Suggestions for initial root cause analysis and work as part of Problem team to try and ensure Problems are resolved ensuring Incidents don't reoccur.
- Lead role in encouraging the team in the creation of knowledge articles and documentation.
- Work with the Queue Management team to review and refine existing processes, co-ordinating team feedback.
- Coordination role for requests for information/feedback across the team on behalf of the SDM.
- Coordination of training requirements across the teams, setting up knowledge transfer sessions and identifying the need for more formal training interventions.
- Be part of the manager on call rota
QualificationsPersonal and Technical Skills
- Assist with the delivery of a 24x7 infrastructure in line with agreed SLA's
- Provide incident, service request and major incident support across the Linux and Unix server estate
- Help remove the day to day tasks and improve team efficiency through automation and tooling
- Ensure all systems are maintained to a high security level which includes vulnerability mitigation, OS patching, system hardening and configuration management
- Take ownership of infrastructure projects from initial implementation to transition
- Maintain high standard of documentation and process management
- Perform pre-agreed out of hours work
- Experience of working in a combined technical team - Network, Unix, Wintel
- Vast experience across CentOS, Red Hat, Oracle Linux, Ubuntu and Solaris
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible or Puppet etc
- Scripting skills such as Bash
- Knowledge of storage/SAN technologies
- Basic knowledge of Network infrastructure, DNS, Switches, Firewalls, Load Balancers etc
- Proactive and self-managing, with the ability to work as part of a team and individually
- Excellent work and time management skills and ability to prioritise without supervision
- Ability to work under pressure, make decisions and take ownership
- A passion for technology, keeping up to date with the latest technology trends
- Experience with VMWare
- Experience with Hyper-V
- Vast experience across Oracle products such as SPARC, Enterprise Controller and Oracle VM Manager
- Experience with Apache, MySQL, Tomcat, Reverse Proxies, Forward Proxies, Mail Relay, Docker
- Knowledge of AWS/Azure
- Worked in a ITIL environment
- Problem-solving skills
- Well organised with good attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to deal with all levels of staff and management in a professional manner
- Excellent communicator
- Excellent analytical skills
Employees of Northgate Public Services are entitled to the following Company funded benefits:
- Single Private Medical Cover (with the option to select family cover at an additional cost)
- 25 days paid holiday (includes 3 company nominated days) with the option to buy/sell up to 5 days
- 4 x basic salary life assurance cover
- A Group Pension Plan with fantastic employer contributions
- A selection of tax efficient flexible benefits to suit your individual needs such as childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme
- The role offers a competitive salary.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate a pre-existing right to work and travel within the EU. Documentary evidence will be required.
All offers are subject to satisfactory vetting and reference checks. Depending on the nature of the role a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check may also be required.
Northgate Public Services is an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all communities.