G-Research is Europe's leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.The role
The Software Engineering Services (SES) Lead Architect is a Product Architect role with hybrid reporting across both the G-Research Engineering and Architecture organisations. It sits within the CTO Office, which co-ordinates the G-Research technology strategy and vision.
You will work alongside the SES Functional Lead and team managers to build the product roadmap for the products and services they offer. Software Engineering Services is responsible for tools, products and capabilities that help engineers build, deploy, run, monitor and support their software more effectively.
Matrixed into the CTO Architecture Practice as part of the Federated Architecture Team you will work with peer Product and Domain Architects to establish and describe application and product strategy across the wider G-Research organisation.
As the SES Lead Architect, you will:
Who are we looking for ?
- Work with the Functional Lead, the Architecture Practice Lead, and other technical leaders to define and continuously refine the strategic goals for the Function
- Work with each of the teams within SES to define and create the overall roadmap for their products and services to achieve those goals
- Work with the Functional Lead and Architecture Practice Lead to prioritise and plan delivery of these roadmap items, balancing near-term value with longer-term strategic objectives
- Act as a technical authority for the products within your functional area. Provide technical leadership on key architecture decisions and act as a point of technical escalation for the engineering teams delivering products
- Maintain a hands on approach allowing you to build proof-of-concept implementations that validate new products or services or demonstrate new or novel approaches/methods
- Support the CTO and Architecture Practice Lead by advocating and applying key G-Research architectural shifts within the SES roadmap
- Operate as part of the wider Federated Architecture Team identifying and answering key emerging significant strategic questions
- Work with peer Product and Domain Architects to articulate SES requirements of them and work to ensure that collectively roadmaps align together
- Work with the Technical Governance Team to develop principles, standards and patterns relevant to your product domain to drive improvements in interoperability and assurance
You will have a demonstrable background in large-scale system and/or enterprise architecture with experience in system design within a comparable organisation focused on data science, analytics and data processing at scale.
The ideal candidate will also demonstrate the following:
Why should you apply?
- A breadth of experience in a wide range of architecture approaches, their pitfalls and benefits
- The soft skills and experience of working with people to ensure that you are sensitive to the views of others and able to work with a rich variety of different stakeholders
- Experience in developing architectures within modern application and cloud approaches such as DevOps, Immutable Infrastructure, Infrastructure-as-Code and Containerisation
- Ability to gather, analyse, document and validate the needs of customers and stakeholders and link these needs to plans and roadmaps
- Sound technical background in system design, engineering or software development with the ability to bridge a span of detailed technical through to high level conceptual discussion
- Comfortable in making decisions stick through influence and collaboration
- Ability to bring structure to situations of high uncertainty and balance delivery imperative with driving for long-term outcomes
- Strong analytical thinking with the ability to quickly acquire a good understanding of a problem or situation by breaking it down systematically into components
- An appreciation of the pros/cons of in-house, bespoke implementations versus the use of third party and commercial products
- Understanding and experience of how complexity arises in organisations, the underlying causes and methods of tackling it
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines