Job Description Summary
Reporting directly to the UK Services Leader, on Site service specialist is a key member of the Service team, providing Application Engineering support both internally and externally and conducts Field Service activities at Protection & Control integrators and end customer facilities. Works on service and maintenance contracts on site including onshore substation and offshore platforms. In this role the engineer will work within defined parameters to make decisions, apply concepts to issues of moderate complexity, and resolve issues through immediate action or short-term planning.Essential Responsibilities:
The onsite services specialist will be responsible for:
- To be within a team in charge of a maintenance contract with customers. The engineer has to be available on call, 24 hours a day on a Rota basis, to perform first line fault diagnostics of Systems and clear failures of Substation Control and Protection systems installed at operational substations onshore and offshore.
- Provide technical instruction and assistance to customer representatives regarding installation, operation, calibration, repair and maintenance at customer's sites. Ensure full reports are generated to the end-Customer.
- Perform Validation and FAT of Protection and substation automation systems including database upgrades / modifications, firmware upgrades, testing on mirror platform and provide SAT assistance.
- Participate in installation and commissioning of Protection & Substation Control Systems.
- Consulting services on P&C Engineering (Calculation of Settings, Protection Relay, Control Units and Gateway Configuration, Coordination Studies, Short Circuit analysis).
- Coordinate with CoE and others for Products & systems obsolescence management.
- Manage customer complaints for resolution via Company's process. To adhere to all required procedures and processes in force at any time.
- To assist with the internal and external training activities including classroom as well as commissioning-based trainings.
- To gain knowledge of new products and systems. Develop and further expand technical knowledge and expertise, currently recognized industry standards for engineering ability.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable product line warranties and accomplish effective warranty administration.
- Provide weekly time sheets and monthly reports including status of all work undertaken by the Engineer during that month and any other items relating to the Services Department. Maintain knowledge of the report system to the extent required for timely and accurate input of field information necessary.
- Communicate schedule details, project milestones, manpower requirements, quality issues, and tools/equipment requirements to the appropriate individuals.
- Leverage applicable Lean/6-Sigma projects.
- Support the Sales and Commercial teams.
- Obtain & Maintain GE / Customer Competent Person Authorization. To ensure that all-relevant safety documentation and site competency certificates are up to date and inform services Leader of impending renewals.
- To Apply the company's health and safety responsibilities to the work at site and at the platform. Ensure RAMS produced and reviewed internally and externally.
- Ensuring that the Company's quality, environment health & safety policies are read, understood and adhered to. Maintain strong safety mindset to assure the executed work reflects the technical requirements within GE safety standards.
- Provide, audit, and implement quality control requirements for on-site activities. Assist the company on the Quality Focus, always strive for continuous improvement, ensure all areas of customer dissatisfaction/satisfaction are addressed and take corrective action when the source of any deviation from required standards is identified.
- Electronics/Electrical Engineering degree or equivalent.
- Proficiency level in English. Other languages valued (Spanish, French, Italian and/or Portuguese)
- Minimum 5 plus years' experience in Electrical protection and Substation Automation Systems, experience working on technical support, testing, maintenance, commissioning in transmission, distribution, industrial and power plants environments.
- Experience with electrical Protection relays and Control systems (LV, MV & HV).
- Experience in substation automation systems, DS Agile knowledge preferred.
- Experience with electrical protection relays, basic and detailed design is essential to be successful in the role.
- Candidates with proven knowledge of GE protection relays and Substation automation solutions are preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel globally. (Around 150 days/year)
- Must have a valid driver's license
- EU Work Permit
- Strong technical skills on Protection Relays, Communication Protocols, SCADA.
- Knowledge on GE Protection relays and DS Agile SCADA will be highly valued.
- Knowledge on Automation, Electrical Control Systems and SCADA/DCS systems.
- Knowledge on Power & Protection Systems.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and achieve milestones and deliverables.
- Open to working extended hours and weekends.
- Sound judgment, level headed under pressure, with an ability to think on feet.
- High energy, positive individual loving service challenges
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a strong customer focus and ability to cooperate with the different departments.
- A rigorous team working approach with a high level of self-motivation, flexibility and self-learning aptitude.
- Must be a motivator, self-starter and dedicated team player with a sense of urgency and an ability to work to tight deadlines
- Basic first aid skills.
- Offshore Certification is preferred but not essential.