The Desktop Support Engineer performs a key function within the IT Department, with specific focus on ITIL practices (Incident, Problem and Escalation Management). The team consists of a mix of 3rd Line Infrastructure, 2nd Line, Apps Support and on-site Desktop Support. As a Desktop Support Engineer you will provide support for an Arvato client, ensuring all user tickets are accurately logged and troubleshooted, using escalation as a final step if required.
This is primarily an office-based role in Arvato HQ in Slough. The successful candidate will have a wide understanding of user requirements and high level of emotional intellect to provide excellent support services to end users and their environment. You will be working in a professional and commercially orientated environment, as a member of a small team. The post holder will be operating in a pressured environment where every day is different and priorities can change quickly, so prioritisation and ITIL best practices and experience are mandatory for this role.
For this wide and varied role, it is essential that all team members have a high level of communication skills, exhibit technical and emotional competence, and, follow strictly agreed processes whilst documenting and recording queries and actions. The role will involve making use of home
management tools to support end users, manual handling in accordance with Health & Safety guidelines whilst deploying and removing IT equipment, the adherence to security protocols, and, the confidential handling of business and customer data.
The team will cover operational hours between 08:00 and 18:00 on a rota basis. Out of hours working may be a requirement to undertake specific projects or accommodation moves for which prior notification will be given and overtime will be paid. On call, the provision of regular support requirements to the client delivering services before 08.00hrs and after 18.00hrs may be required on a rota basis. If applicable an allowance will be payable. A full manual UK driving licence is essential.
Reporting to the IT Support Service Manager this role will:
- Record, monitor, update and respond to incidents and support requests in a timely manner, owning each incident up to escalation.
- Respond to user queries via email, telephone and online portal.
- Ensure all incidents and requests are actioned and updated regularly within Arvato's ITSM solution.
Proactively monitor requests and systems and act accordingly to fix issues before they become major incidents (Problem Management).
· Complete all registers as requested eg equipment registers, signing in and out, timesheets etc.
· Perform routine maintenance on open Incidents and Service Requests, ensuring that escalations are followed up on and tickets are updated regularly within SLA.
· Escalate any unusual events or issues to Team Lead / arvato management as quickly as possible.
- Act on advice provided by 3rd Line support.
- Employ customer focused communication techniques, both written and verbal, in the handling of all requests and face to face communications.
· O365 administration - user admin, InTune, groups, laptop builds through InTune (Autopilot)
· Working in an ITIL environment.
- Experience in 2nd line end user device support, Active Directory and the Microsoft environment.
- Experience in Incident Management and able to prioritise tickets
· Evidence of positive customer facing communication skills.
- Strong capabilities in following documented processes and verbal instruction.
- Adaptable to change and capable of learning new skills & requirements.
- Evidence of experience in the setup and support of all end-user devices and related software.
- Self-motivated, proactive with a "can do attitude".
- Well-developed written and oral communication, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Emotional intelligence and ability to empathise with user's IT problems.
· Supporting contact centre environments. Key Measures:
1. CompTIA, ITIL or Microsoft Certification.
2. Experience of working in a busy Service Desk environment.
3. Holder of recognised qualifications in English and Maths from secondary level schooling
- A full manual UK driving licence
1. Working Relationships & Interfaces:Other
Arvato is an equal opportunities employer embracing diversity in the workplace
- is a busy support service that has responsibility for private sector and local government employees, as well as arvato staff at all levels.
- as part of a team, the role will require regular communication to be held across all IT teams, based on and off site, with escalation to management.
- team must deliver SLA/KPI targets.
- is a busy working environment and priorities can change frequently, therefore an adaptable approach to changing demands is essential.
- Willingness to work unconventional shifts including on-call, nights and weekends
- Key to the role is the ability to communicate with the other members of the IT Department, including establishing cross site relationships.
- Duties and responsibilities must be undertaken to comply with arvato policies and procedures, and relevant legislation (such as the Data Protection Act 1998, Misuse of Computers Act 1990, and Freedom of Information Act 2000).
- The role holder will be expected to undertake any reasonable task as requested commensurate with the role.
- The team operate across private and public sector clients supporting all technologies used by both. This includes:
- ITSM tooling (BMC Remedy/ITSM360)
- Microsoft Office 365, Azure, InTune, Microsoft Windows 10 OS and Desktop Apps
- Barracuda always-on VPN (AOVPN)
- Azure Active Directory
- Laptop builds and distribution (InTune)
- Governance and security awareness - ISO27001, Cyber Essentials+
- specialisms: The team members are expected to undertake cross skill training particularly to meet defined requirements for the On Call elements of the role. Remote tools are provided to enable On Call working, and a flexible approach is taking with regard to working at home.
It is the Company's intention that this job description is seen as a guide to the main areas and duties for which the job holder is accountable. However, the business will change and the job holder's obligations are bound to vary and develop, so the job description should be seen as a guide and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement. This job description is non-contractual.