We're making insurance radically better. How? By building insurance that's fair and flexible.
Insurance is completely broken. It's outdated, complicated, rigid - and we get it, insurance (as you know it) doesn't sound very exciting. But we're doing things differently. Using pretty cool technology, we're making insurance way more fit for the 21st century, building products that actually solve problems.
We were the first company in the UK to sell hourly car insurance via an app. And we're also the only insurance provider that provides in-app customer support with an average one minute response time. We've sold over 2 million policies and supported over 300,000 customers. We're a strong, talented team of 100+ and growing.Why work for Cuvva?
We don't cut corners. We strive to do the right thing, even when that makes life more difficult for us.
We've nurtured an awesome team culture. We always speak up when we have an idea - but also know when to let go and get behind something else.
And we're comfortable giving and receiving honest feedback, and trying new ways of doing things.
We're building a diverse team from different backgrounds, outlooks and experiences. Everyone is given a fair chance of getting a role at Cuvva. Even if you secretly don't love insurance, trust us, you'll love what we're building.About the role
You'll work in one of our cross-functional product squads, helping the team achieve their goals - whether that's building a new service in our backend platform, creating a new version of an existing API to deliver a new feature, or creating a CLI tool to automate something.
We work in a highly collaborative fashion, and maintain an open and transparent work environment. Engineers at Cuvva don't just write code or implement against a spec. You'll be expected and encouraged to take part in the entire product development process from problem-discovery to solution design, to implementation and rollout.
Each product squad autonomously owns an area of the Cuvva product. Squads are made up of engineers from multiple disciplines (backend, web, iOS, Android), product and content designers, and a product manager. Engineers at Cuvva come from a variety of backgrounds and have different but complementary skill sets. We don't require a computer science degree - many of us are self-taught.Our approach
We value consistently-written, simple, resilient systems. Our backend is made up of many standalone services with a JSON-based RPC interface. We aim to create a client-agnostic API design suitable for a variety of clients (mobile apps, website, internal tooling, 3rd parties). Because we're a regulated financial company, we have interesting and rigorous requirements to meet with regards to data security and auditability.
You can find out more about our backend systems here:
The perfect addition to our team will:
- Our libraries and Go tooling is open sourced on GitHub
- "Showing off our K-sortable IDs" on our blog
- "How we analyse and test new pricing models" on our blog
- "How we test and roll out new product features" on our blog
- Have a genuine interest and curiosity about the Cuvva product, and consumer insurance in general
- Enjoy working as a team to solve problems collaboratively
- Have around 5 years of experience building rock-solid backend systems and APIs
- Have a track record of shipping great quality code with real customer impact
- Be comfortable and productive working with Go
- We don't require commercial Go experience but you would be expected to have a basic understanding and a willingness to learn. Having a background with at least one statically-typed language is a good sign.
- Know your way around the major AWS services (or similar cloud services), and have an enthusiasm for cloud services in general
- Be comfortable working with containers (e.g. Docker, K8S, ECR, container based CI platforms)
As well as a competitive salary (£75-90k, dependent on experience) and equity based remuneration, benefits of working at Cuvva include:
- Professional development budget
- Health, WFH and wellbeing budget
- 33 days of holiday a year (including public holidays )
- Increases to all allowances year on year
- Enhanced parental leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Brand new MacBook
- A day off to volunteer
- One-to-one sessions with our Sanctus coaches, giving you a safe space to talk about your mental health
- Salary sacrifice schemes for: electric bike hire & electric car lease!
- Hundreds of perks and discounts
- Lifeworks - Mental health tool & assistance program
- Mates rates on your insurance
- Very flexible work from home or at the office arrangements
- Referral bonus when you bring your friends to join the Cuvva team
- Monthly team socials (we've done things like Dabbers bingo, an online wine tasting, and themed virtual pub quizzes)
- Office library full of great books
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular team lunches (even when we're remote!)