It has never been a more exciting time to join the Defra group, which is responsible for the environment, the countryside and the rural economy. Defra's diverse teams deal with a vast range of issues that profoundly affect people's day-to-day life from the food we eat, the air we breathe and the water we drink.
Our Digital Data and Technology Services (DDTS) function has just gone through a digital transformation so this is an exciting time to join us.
We're currently recruiting for two Lead Content Designers to join our team.
DDTS has major locations in Bristol, Warrington and York. Currently, everyone who can work from home is working from home. After the pandemic, regular travel to one or more of these locations is likely to be required.
Content designers are key figures in the teams that design and deliver services. They help their teams develop a deep understanding of user needs and how users interact with content. Their editorial skills allow their teams to design and build better services that are easier to use and at lower risk. And to continuously improve content, based on data and evidence.
As a lead content designer you will lead and align content design activities across several teams. You will ensure that teams take a user-centred, evidence-based approach to content design and delivery. You will develop content design capability and assure good content design best practice.
As Lead Content Designer you'll:
• lead content designers and content design activities across several teams throughout the organisation
• help to identify content design recruitment needs, supporting or leading recruitment campaigns, as required
• align content design plans and activities with organisational objectives and priorities
• contribute content design expertise to inform service propositions and roadmaps
• promote and assure good content design practice
• collaborate with colleagues to create a culture of user-centred and evidence-based content design and delivery with teams actively involved in creating content for users
• engage with colleagues across the organisation and across government to collaborate on developing content design and agile principles
• contribute to the organisation and cross-government content design communities - including presenting at meetups, writing blog posts and leading on aspects of practice
• line manage a team of senior content designers across multiple projects (both civil servants and contractors)
• deputise for the Head of Content Design
It's essential that you have experience of:
• people and performance management and staff development
• leading content designers and continually assuring, improving and innovating content design practices
• advocating for content design, negotiating with and in?uencing senior stakeholders
• helping teams to adopt a range of user centred service design and delivery practices and embedding them into their agile workflow
• proposing, improving and implementing new processes - including peer review, content management and prototyping
• championing inclusive practices and including all kinds of users in appropriate content design processes
By pressing 'Apply', you will be contacted by a member of the DDTS Recruitment Hub and will inform you of next steps to formally apply for this role via Civil Service Jobs. Please note that you are registering your interest by clicking 'Apply' and this is not a formal job application.