This role is to work as part of a small team to inspect and verify components as well as reverse-engineer items up to whole car size. Results will be generated using various technologies and software packages to enable Engineers to accept or reject parts as well as aid in problem solving and data generation/collection. You will develop skills and competence across a range of inspection tools and equipment and select the correct tools for the jobs.
· Inspect parts to CAD and 2D drawings & create reports for customers (internal & external).
· Program, modify, run and monitor whole car CMM
· Scan components and whole cars in support of engineering & Benchmarking activities
· Support investigations to aid problem solving 8D activities, liaising with cross functional teams.
· Conduct tensile and compression testing
· Use handheld tools for quick measurements to identify issues
· This role will report into the Metrology Supervisor at the client site. The role demands good communication with colleagues at all levels within the business due to the varied work that comes through the lab. This will include detailed, technical discussions. You will work closely with engineering to collate the required data and share your findings in a professional and accessible manner.
· The role requires a good understanding of a wide range Engineering techniques, an ability to read and understand technical drawings and specifications as well as interpreting geometric tolerancing and datum strategies. As well as a strong drive to solve problems independently and find solutions in a timely manner to complex problems.
· ONC (or equivalent experience) in an Engineering discipline
· Experience working in an Engineering environment
· Experience and knowledge of basic measurement hand tools
· An understanding of Engineering drawings
· Knowledge of working with Catia CAD models
· Good PC skills (MS Office)
· Experience and knowledge of CMMs & Software package usage (e.g. Camio, PCDMIS...)
· Relevant experience using measurement tools (Arm measurement, CMM, scanning, other)
· An understanding of datum strategies
· An understanding of GD&T and standards (BS8888)
· Neat and conscientious working practices
· Ability to work closely as part of a small team
· Ability to clearly and concisely communicate with Engineering staff at all levels within the business
· Must be presentable at all times to maintain a professional image
· Enthusiasm to develop skills and grow with the team as the business expands
· Inquisitive nature and willing to explore alternative methods and technologies to generate the best results