DescriptionWho are we?
Friend MTS are the Emmy award winning leading provider of content protection solutions to the media and entertainment industry.
Specialising in video security, we provide integrated technology products and security services to a global client base. That client base includes many of the world's largest pay-TV broadcasters and OTT platforms, as well as content owners ranging from television and movie producers to the world's most prestigious sports leagues and event operators.In brief . . .
We are seeking an experienced Head of Software Engineering / Software Development to head up our growing software engineering organisation to reach the common goal of producing highly robust and scalable SaaS solutions for the video security industry.
You must have extensive hands-on experience of managing a growing software engineering function, including the full spectrum of software development activities from gathering and refining requirements from the Product Management function and business / commercial stakeholders and communication of technical issues to the service delivery teams, to post-deployment / ongoing system support.
You might have been working as a Software Development Manager, Agile Delivery Manager, Scrum Master or possible a Software Development Team Lead looking to step up.
Driven by technology the company can offer a remote interview / process and 100% work from home likely to be until Spring 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.What will your job look like?
This role reports to the Operations Director, and when normal working arrangement return will be based in our Birmingham office.
We are a company head-quartered in Birmingham with growing development teams based in Birmingham, York and London. Your teams focus on the development of cloud-hosted industry-leading video security services to some of the biggest names in the broadcast and media industry. You will oversee all software engineering functions including design, technical documentation, code quality, production support and cloud cost management functions.
You must have a strong software development background and have hands-on experience of managing a growing agile software engineering organisation (over 30 Engineers across multiple teams) liaising with the existing Engineering Team Managers, mentoring and guiding the Engineering teams, and taking general line management responsibilities including recruiting and retaining team members.Key Tasks On a Day-to-day Basis Will Include
RequirementsWhat do you need?
- Providing line management, motivation, coaching / mentoring and strong leadership and direction to the software engineering teams, aligning your teams with the business vision and strategy to enable technical delivery of new features and enhancements.
- Working with stakeholders, including the Product Management function, business / commercial teams, and the Engineering Teams, to prioritise requirements and translate these into achievable goals with defined estimates and delivery dates in alignment with the product roadmap.
- Working with Product Architects and Engineering Team Managers to understand how all architectural elements of the software ecosystem work together, agree on the technical direction, and develop engineering and testing approaches that fit the overall strategy.
- Attending daily meetings across Engineering Teams, coordinating across teams and unblocking any immediate issues.
- Identifying and communicating delivery risks & timelines to stakeholders and senior management.
- Acting as a scrum master, advocating Agile best practises and coaching / mentoring the Engineering Teams in Agile methodologies.
- Keeping stakeholders, including senior management, informed of progress with the planned deliverables.
- Fostering a culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics, encouraging innovative ideas to the table every day, in order to find better ways of accomplishing objectives.
- Experience of leading and recruiting high performance software engineering teams.
- A proven track record in software engineering, ideally with hands-on development experience of large, cloud-hosted, elastically scalable, highly resilient, distributed, event-driven systems.
- Experience of leading and project managing deliverables across the full development lifecycle, establishing best practices as necessary.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - pragmatic, able to inspire and motivate and produce detailed technical documentation.
- Experience of cost management and budgeting for cloud-hosted services.
- Ability to assess and facilitate the right technical decisions driven by a mix of strong technical understanding with the ability to assess risk / reward etc.
- Experience using agile methods for software delivery e.g Scrum / Kanban etc. along with an in-depth understanding of modern Agile techniques and areas such as automation / CI / CD / DevOps, monitoring, QA automation etc. and introducing these new techniques to existing Engineering Teams.
- Experience of managing development teams across front end, back end, data engineering, DevOps, and QA.
- Extensive project management and senior stakeholder management skills.
- Experience developing for, and deploying solutions to, cloud-based architectures e.g. AWS, GCP or Azure.
BenefitsWhy work with us?
- Experience of working on broadcast video, OTT, or video security software.
- Previous hands-on experience with MySQL.
- Experience with NoSQL, Big Data solutions.
If you are keen to work with the leading global provider of channel, content and platform protection services - get in touch today!
- Benefits include flexible working options, pension scheme, 25 days holiday which increases with length of service, plus an extra day off for your birthday, Group Health Insurance and more!
- You will work at the cutting edge of a high growth industry with an opportunity to shape the technical vision of a large cloud-based platform.
- You will have the opportunity to work on solutions for some of the biggest and most well known sports and entertainment brands in the world.
- Our hardware products are installed in broadcast head-ends worldwide, and our software components are deployed into millions of set-top boxes and streaming video players worldwide.