We are looking for an experienced CNC Machinist / Toolmaker to join our high precision manufacturing team. You will be responsible for manufacturing parts required to develop our experimental campaign and ultimately achieve fusion. You will be building state of the art technology in a highly skilled team of scientists and engineers.
Projects will range from developing pulsed power machines to achieve electro-magnetic launch of projectiles exceeding 20km/s, to complex target design and development. All will require creative approaches in design, manufacturing and use of materials. Responsibilities will include
- Production of precision components that meet the required specifications in the agreed timelines.
- Safe operation of machines, tools and equipment.
- Programming the machine tools with data taken from technical drawings.
- Planning the most efficient order of machine operations for each job.
- Checking that work meets quality and technical standards.
- Routine maintenance and risk prevention procedures.
- Appropriate qualification and further relevant experience in the role.
- In-depth understanding of CNC programming and machine operations.
- Experience in conventional milling and turning.
- Experience in the manufacturing of high precision components.
- A full understanding of health and safety and the ability to work safely.
- Methodical approach to task implementation.
- Ability to work reliably under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and enthusiasm to work in a dynamic team environment.
- Working knowledge of CAD/CAM, and Open Mind Hypermill software.
- Programming experience on the latest Hurco and Mazak CNC controls.
- Experience in the use of wider engineering equipment such as welding, grinding, wire erosion.
- Inspection / QA experience
How to apply
Please send your application and CV to email@example.com quoting the job title in the subject. If you don't hear back from us within four weeks, it means that unfortunately your application was unsuccessful at this time.
Informal enquiries may also be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The interview process
We typically carry out two separate interviews, each one about sixty to ninety minutes long. The first one aims to understand how your skills match what is required for the job and the discussion will be focused on your areas of expertise. If successful, you will be invited to the second interview, which is more focused on your personal skills, and how your objectives align with the company mission and values. We try to understand the value you will add to First Light, and how you can thrive and be happy with us. There will be opportunity to ask us as many questions as you like.
If you are invited to the second interview, it's probably time to warm up two of your referees, as we may ask you to put us in touch with them. If you are the successful candidate, we will send you an offer letter and, once agreed, a contract.
If you are invited to an interview, we will certainly get back to you to let you know the outcome.
To help with logistics issues, we can arrange so that the two interviews are organised on the same day. We will also reimburse reasonable expenses you incur to come to talk to us.
We don't have a dress code at First Light and regardless of seniority there is a good mix of t-shirts, trainers, shirts and blazers. For your interview, please dress in whatever makes you feel most confident and comfortable.
Our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
We are a small company with a huge mission. The only important aspect for the team, and for each individual, is the contribution they can make. Our selection process and requirements for career progression disregard gender, gender identity, race, disability, colour, religion, and all other aspects of diversity that make us all humans. Diverse teams have been proven to be better and we strongly believe it. We're not perfect but we strive to be.
Information for recruiters
We work with a trusted network of recruiters, therefore CVs sent by other recruitment agencies will not be considered. In the event that the company receives a CV from both the direct applicant and a recruitment agency, the CV will be treated as a direct application by the individual only. Unsolicited contact from recruitment agencies will be disregarded.First Light Fusion
We are a lean, focused and agile company researching energy generation by inertial confinement fusion. We spun out from the University of Oxford in June 2011 and are based near Oxford. First Light continues to work closely with the academic community, both in the UK and internationally. The company is well-funded by both institutional investors and private individuals.
Inertial confinement fusion for energy generation is a well-established research field and is being pursued in many laboratories worldwide, perhaps most notably in the US at the National Ignition Facility. We are exploring a number of alternative research directions that harness the same fundamental physics, with the prime focus being power generation. Our work to-date has included theoretical analysis, detailed numerical simulation, and experimental validation. We have an increasingly clear vision of the pathway to a power plant.
We really believe fusion will be solved in the 2020s. If it's solved by us, fantastic, if it's solved by someone else, still great.