We're communications enthusiasts with a passion for using technology and the software we develop inhouse. Our aim is to improve the education of children and young people by improving school communications and access to online learning materials.
We're looking for a senior developer to join our team. We're passionate about the software we make, and have built an outstanding reputation for ingenuity, scalability, and quality. We want to help the people we work with - both clients and team members - achieve success that's meaningful to them; whether that's an improved bottom line, delighted customers, career progression, new skills or a better work/life balance. You'll be joining a team of like-minded folk who encourage each other to contribute to the main goal of improving education.
Our head office is located just outside of Newcastle city centre but most of the team work remotely across the UK, so pick the work environment where you're most productive.
You must be confident with these languages/tools:
- Python 3+
- Any SQL database
- npm/yarn, Webpack
- CSS and at least one CSS preprocessor (SASS, LESS, any CSS-in-JS)
- At least one MVC/MVT web framework (Django, Ruby on Rails)
- At least one modern JS framework (React, Vue, Angular v2+)
- At least one cloud platform (AWS, Azure, GCP)
And you must have experience with:
- Full stack development, especially of multiple products; juggling frontend, backend, build, deployment & maintenance at a fast pace; knowing when to keep the tech stack homogenous between products, and when to break from tradition
- Building scalable, polished, fast SPAs
- Building and working with REST APIs
- Modeling complex features with an ORM cleanly and with extension in mind
- Agile development; balancing feature-richness, polish, and delivery time
- Open source development; a good nose for quality libraries, contributing and sharing code
Your responsabilities will include:
- Working alongside the CEO, product manager and design team to bring to life new products, features and improvements that mean we stay ahead of the game and are considered the industry benchmark by our competitors
- Iteratively plan, develop and deploy new products, features and improvements, and make them performant as their user base grows
- Interpret specifications, job stories and wireframes to solve customer problems in the most effective way using the appropriate languages/tools
- Build and maintain a library of robust and scalable components to aid with rapid development and ensure UI/UX consistency across products and features
- Set and enforce quality standards, conduct code reviews, and ensure test coverage is maintained across all products and features
- Promote the ongoing adoption of development best practices and influence decisions around our technical approach and choice of tools
Skills and talents we're looking for:
- Analytical and data driven
- User focus
- Attention to detail
- Customer focus
Personal qualities we're looking for:
- Excellent software engineering skills with instincts to test your own code
- Passionate about supporting schools and developing enrichment projects
- Fanatical about improving outcomes for children and young people
- Always curious to learn, improve, and share new ideas
- Highly organised, great work ethic, strategic thinker, completer finisher
For your commitment we can offer you a competitive salary + uncapped bonus and flexible home working. All team members are well supported with weekly catch-ups, monthly 1:2:1's, and annual appraisals. Other benefits include: company pension, professional development, certified training, workplace nursery, cycle to work, gym benefits, commuter club, cashplan, dining card and retail discounts.
Everyone within our business learns enthusiastically from each other. You'll gain excellent business, professional and sector knowledge from all the team members who will support you. Join our team and enjoy your work, with recognition for your achievements. It's the way it should be!