Who we are
Gear4music is the largest retailer of musical instruments and equipment in the UK. Launched in 2003 by Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wass, our sales have grown quickly from £12M to 120M in the past 7 years. We're not stopping there - we grew by more than 80% in the 3 months to June 2020!
Who we really
Here in our technical hub, we really care about people. We want you to grow and develop with us in a fully open and supportive environment. We want to hear your ideas and for you to be yourself in an atmosphere that encourages people's individual personalities to shine.
We pride ourselves on having a real
culture here at Gear4music, we're not an agency, we're in-house and offer something that's more than a token couple of beanbags and a PS4 you don't have time to play. From important things like having a mental health first aider, silly things like our #toast
Slack channel, the occasional #movienights
to the D&D club we didn't even know we had!
We're techy to the core, with hands-on technical management through to board level. We pride ourselves on our flat structure where our directors sit in with the teams and are only a shoulder tap away when you need them. We encourage honest peer review feedback, even if you're critiquing your boss. We host regular knowledge-sharing lunches and have an active tech share channel for news, updates and all the latest releases.
Who we're not
- We're not the kind of people who'll sell you a job based on gimmicks and recruiter-speak. We know you don't want to hear how disruptive we are, how unique this opportunity is or how many boundaries we're pushing.
- We're also not an agency. You'll have a chance to do your best work here, in a team who recognise that quality matters. You won't be asked to rush work through because the client hasn't paid for it to be done properly.
- There is no need for you to bring your noise cancelling headphones to drown out the sound of the endless sales calls, because we have an open plan office where you're only surrounded by like-minded individuals.
What we do
- We truly believe in a healthy work/life balance. Here, our flexible hours allow you to start at a time that suits you, and you're more likely to be told to go home than to stay late. That means getting home in time to tuck the kids into bed at night or get to that gig you've been looking forward to for ages.
- We might be a socially active bunch, but if something's not your bag, there is no forced inclusion. So if those pints down the pub or board game themed socials don't strike the right chord, you've got nothing to worry about.
Gear4music sell musical instruments and equipment online. Our range includes over 50,000 products from nearly 900 manufacturers. We sell to over 190 countries, across 20 multilingual websites, 9 different currencies, shipping with more than 15 couriers, from 3 hubs in the UK, Germany and Sweden.
Our in-house tech team build and support the completely custom-built platform we use to make all of that possible. The projects you'd work on might include new user-facing features on our website, tweaks to one of our batch order processing systems, a large-scale architecture rework or an integration with a new courier.Who are you
We're looking for great DevOps Engineers, who are excited about working in a collaborative environment. You are a motivated, flexible and talented engineer who is enthusiastic about learning new things and challenging themselves.
You're not a lone ranger but believe in a joined up and friendly work environment that delivers real projects. You're someone who takes pride in the things you do and likes to see things from beginning to end. You love the attention to detail and might even say it could be a strength and a weakness. You will champion new technologies when it's right for the business.
You'll also need some personality. You'll get bonus points if you've got strong GIF-game, and we'd love to know what you're into (even if you're really passionate about a specific brand of water.) We want to hear all your ideas and we want you to tell us what you think.What we're looking for
You'll be working with our software engineering, architecture and testing teams to create a stable platform, enabling:
- Scalable and resilient applications
- Effective software development
- Safe, easy & reliable releases (working towards CI/CD)
- Testing, QA
We want to work with like-minded people who set high standards for themselves and the work that they produce. We'd love it if you were passionate about continuous integration, profiling, unit testing or documentation (or all of the above.)
You'll need to be comfortable working with:
- Being capable of planning and managing your workload to suit multiple project deadlines.
- Collaborate and share knowledge with other team members.
- Cloud-based Linux environments: Google Cloud Platform, some AWS
- Containerisation & Virtualisation: Docker, Kubernetes, AppEngine
- Scalable and complex distributed systems
- Infrastructure as code with Ansible and Terraform
- Web servers: Apache & Nginx
- MySQL, Percona - including HA configuration & replication
- NoSQL & Search (Datastore, Elasticsearch/Lucene)
- Memcache, Queueing systems, Pub/Sub technologies
- Build & deployment tools: GitHub, Composer, Travis, PHPUnit
- Performance optimisation: xhprof, xdebug, cloud traces, Stackdriver
- An API ecosystem, using OAuth, HMAC, JSON over HTTPS
- DNS & associated domain management
- Networking & HTTP fundamentals
- A solid understanding of security, awareness of DoS & DDoS scenarios
- Monitoring, statistics & metrics
Don't worry if you can't tick all of these boxes! If you did, you might be exaggerating. We'd like to hear from you if this sounds like the kind of tech stack you're used to working with.What we can give you
Other than the benefit of working with such a great bunch of people, we also really value your wellbeing and want to ensure you have a lifestyle that helps you get the best of your work and your free time. We work hard to make sure you have clear objectives and will tailor your progression plan with what you
want and not just what the business needs.
- Great pay, which is never late.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays) per year.
- A 'go home' culture where no one is expecting you to be still in the office past your working hours.
- A personal career development plan and regular one to ones.
- Twice yearly pay reviews that are not tied to the company's performance or your current job title.
- A Windows, Mac or Linux laptop, and we'll buy your IDE of choice
- Health Assured Employee Assistance Programme, helping you to manage personal issues at work and at home.
- A great discount scheme.
- A super generous employee referral scheme.
- Flexible working hours and no dress code.
- Company lunches and social events.
- A weekly fruit basket.
Plus all the usual things you'd expect:
- Employer pension scheme.
- Eyecare vouchers.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- A great coffee machine and a regular supply of milk (and almond milk)
Tell us what you think
If this sounds like the kind of team you'd like to be a part of, we'd love to hear from you. Get in touch with our recruitment team and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.