Digital Surgery is a data-driven company implementing cutting-edge AI technology, computer vision, and augmented reality to the operating room (OR) and surgical training. Our goal is to deliver safer surgery around the world. The DS1 is our first OR device, allowing surgeons, OR team members, and trainees to securely access videos of their procedures shortly after surgery. The device uses advanced AI algorithms that enable automatic processing and uploading of videos. Our surgical training platform is the award-winning Touch Surgery application that provides safe and accessible training for surgeons and other health care professionals.
As a Software Engineer within Digital Surgery's innovation team, you will be responsible for supporting the development and productization of our hardware solutions in the operating room of hospitals.We're continuously working towards maintaining and enhancing our existing intraoperative products as well as designing next generation variants, and identifying innovative hardware solutions to solve complex challenges within the operating room.
We need a Software Engineer who will enable novel connectivity features between our intra-operative devices. You will write high-performance code touching on networking and information exchange topics, integrated on cutting edge hardware.
Here's what you'll be doing (not all of it, just the important stuff!):
- Maintain and develop core application software touching on networking and connectivity to connect our intra-operative products.
- Work alongside our multidisciplinary team (embedded, computer vision, cloud platform, etc.) to develop the software stack for our next generation intra-operative devices.
- Investigate, debug, and resolve issues reported from testing and support.
- Participate in the relevant security and regulatory compliance processes.
- Develop robust and secure-by-design software fit for a medical-grade system.
Nice To Haves
- BS/MS in Computer, Electrical, Electronics Engineering or equivalent.
- Excellent C/C++ programming.
- Strong knowledge of Unix/Linux environments.
- Experience with networking and inter-process communication
- Experience with systems engineering and design principles.
- Experience working with communication APIs.
- Experience with streaming protocols (e.g. video streaming).
- Experience with embedded linux.
- Understanding of core security concepts.
- Experience with software development for medical products or other safety-critical applications.
We're in a really lucky position to operate like a small team, with all of the benefits of a big company. Following our acquisition by Medtronic in February 2020, our benefits have had an impressive face lift. ; Our benefit package aims to help support your health, build wealth, grow in your career and share in the success of Digital Surgery and Medtronic. We are in the healthcare business and so in order to look after our people we provide:
- Private healthcare via AXA PPP - £100 excess
- 30 days' holiday + 8 bank holidays
- Pension scheme (we double your personal contribution of up to 6%, by contributing 12%)
- Annual bonus scheme
- Annual meal allowance
- Life insurance (4 x annual salary*)
- Group Income Protection (67% of insured salary payable until pensionable age)
- Life benefit policy
- Maternity - 20 weeks' full pay + 15% returner's bonus
- Paternity - 2 weeks' full pay
- Employee Assistance Programme (support line for counselling, legal or financial advice)
This is not to mention all the other perks for working with us such as our employee recognition programs, a cash bonus for referring a friend, and a whole host of other wellness benefits.
We also encourage flexible working, so you choose when you start and finish. This is just one of our Family Friendly company policies.
So what's it like working at Digital Surgery?
Part of the Medtronic family we benefit from a small company feel, within the world's leading medical device company. We have 130 people globally, with teams across the UK, US and Canada. The majority are based in our London HQ in Old Street. The company is made up of several teams covering Engineering, Product, Studio, Innovation, Marketing, HR, Operations, Finance and Sales. We care about our employees' career and development, offering training internally as well as external courses and attending global conferences. We believe that helping you grow will help our company grow too.
We have our Family Meeting on Friday afternoons with beer, wine and cold drinks - it's a great chance to meet new joiners, share success stories and hear what's been going on in the company that week.
- All for One
- Candid but Kind
- Deliver Extraordinary Things
Come help us to build a company that makes a difference, that changes lives, that saves lives.
During this global crisis we have erred on the side of caution in our handlings. We closed the office 3 weeks before the lockdown in order to protect our employees. As flexible working has always been on the table, our preexisting IT infrastructure has allowed us to seamlessly transition to life in lockdown across the wider organisation. Despite the global crisis we continue to grow, and are interviewing and onboarding candidates remotely - so please do APPLY to express your interest in our vacancies!