Thought Machine is solving one of the biggest problems in banking. Since launching in 2014, our mission has been to liberate banks from outdated, legacy technology which stifles their ability to innovate. Thought Machine's core product Vault is a cloud native, core banking engine built to run any type of bank - from established Tier 1 banks all the way to new challenger banks.
To move closer to achieving our mission, we are looking for highly talented individuals to join the fast growing team. With a founding team drawn from Google, we have a deep culture of engineering excellence and we believe it is this which delivers a solution compelling enough to engender a seismic shift in the banking industry.
Thought Machine was ranked as the most desirable London fintech to work at by Sifted when comparing employee reviews on Glassdoor and named in Fintech 50 (2020). We pride ourselves on having an excellent internal culture, where we take cultural fit as important as technical fit when we make new hires. At Thought Machine, we strive hard to create a fast-paced, supportive and fun working environment to enable the team to produce the best technical work in the industry.
Thought Machine is looking for excellent Software Engineers to drive the continued development of Please, our build system, and its extended ecosystem. You will play a major role in the future of an exciting and growing open source project, which recently made it to the front page of Hacker News!
Please is a highly scalable multi-language build system designed for massive mono-repos. Please is not only used by Thought Machine but also has thousands of external users. Your primary responsibilities will include developing integrations with IDEs and tools, supporting additional languages and platforms, as well as engaging with the internal and external user base to help Please further along its path towards being a major player in the build system space.DUTIES
- Designing, developing and delivering enhancements to Please and its ecosystem
- Engaging with internal users, proactively gathering requirements and alleviating pain points to enhance productivity
- Engaging with the external Please community to feed these improvements downstream, ensuring all our users are benefiting from this work
- Designing, developing and delivering IDE and tooling integrations
- Designing, developing and delivering support for additional languages and tooling within Please e.g. Kotlin, Rust, C#
- Community engagement e.g. GitHub issue management, change logs, blog posts, newsletters, internal talks, as well as potential conference talks
- Proactively keeping in loop with the wider software ecosystem to keep Please ahead of the curve when it comes to changes e.g. new technology, tool or language versions
- Experience with either Python and Golang
- Experience using compilers, unix systems, and build systems. Experiencing building and maintaining these tools is not required
- Interested in learning new technologies and ecosystems to develop idiomatic solutions to novel problems
- Knowledge of Please, Bazel, Buck, and Pants paradigm
- Experience with C++ and Make or similar tooling
- Experience maintaining an open source project with a thriving active user base
- Highly competitive salary
- Pension plan
- Private health insurance (including dental & optical)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Onsite gym
- Sports and hobby clubs, subsidised by Thought Machine
- All the latest tech you need
- Start the day properly with fresh fruit and cereals
- Huge range of healthy (and not so healthy) snacks, smoothies, juice, tea, coffee and soft drinks on tap
- A talented & experienced team as your colleagues
- An environment where we encourage learning and progress
- Weekly food pop up
- Monthly social with arcade games
Thought Machine is committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We actively hire for cultural growth. We welcome people of all ages, backgrounds and value people who take a journey unique to them. We provide everyone with equal access to professional development. You are encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.
No agencies please.