Overview of role
This role exists to ensure the day-to-day running of the college's compute & storage platform services are delivered to a high standard and in accordance with defined service level agreements.
It includes proactive management and maintenance of all aspects of compute & storage platforms, adoption of new services into production and responding to incidents and service requests.
The role is also responsible for continual service improvement ensuring that the college has appropriate and available compute & storage platform services to support its ongoing needs. AccountabilitiesKey responsibilities:
- Responsible for the successful delivery of compute & storage platform services within a Service Management framework and in line with the agreed college standards and service levels.
- Responsible for contributing to the resolution of major incidents and any escalated issues on the compute & storage platform.
- Responsible for supporting delivery of technological change across the compute & storage platform.
- Responsible for the security, resilience, and monitoring of the college's compute & storage platforms.
- Represent the compute & storage team when required in Change Advisory Board meetings, daily and weekly Service Review meetings.
- Responsible for maintaining service and enacting business continuity arrangements if necessary.
- Responsible for fostering a practice of collaboration and continuous improvement within the team.
- Responsible for identifying and undertaking Service Improvements.
- Responsible for identifying opportunities to reduce environmental impact and implementing improvements.
- Responsible for working closely with the other teams within IT to provide an excellent IT service.
- Responsible for contributing to proposed solutions to ensure they are fit for purpose and provide optimal value for money.
- Responsible for the adoption into service of new solutions ensuring operational suitability.
- Responsible for responding to customer improvement activity.
- Deputation for the Linux Compute Lead as required.
Communication & networking:
- To deliver compute & storage platform services in line with the agreed service levels.
- To ensure all compute & storage platform services are maintained to the correct architectural and technical best practice specifications.
- Be a stakeholder in determining whether a new release, affecting a service in production, is ready for promotion.
- Contribute to the delivery of updated or new solutions to the compute & storage environment.
- Possess a detailed understanding for all King's College London's compute & storage platforms and the associated infrastructure.
- To operate in line with the College IT Operating Model and Values and to promote these within the team.
- To contribute to the compute & storage service/product roadmap.
- To assist the Compute & Storage manager & Linux Compute Lead to prioritise the product backlog for new releases to our customers.
- To drive operational excellence across compute & storage services.
Decision making, planning & problem solving:
- Develop and maintain collaborative and inclusive relationships with peers, key college stakeholders, management, and colleagues.
- Develop and maintain good morale within the compute & storage team.
- Utilise effective communication skills with the compute & storage team to ensure that service targets, objectives and strategies are clearly understood by the Head of Platforms.
Architectural and service delivery:
- To develop and continually improve the college compute & storage platform services.
- To deliver statistical information about compute & storage services leading to improved services.
- Ensure the root cause of all P1, P2 and escalated incidents are obtained and actively seek to eliminate such root causes through a practice of continuous improvement.
- Identify and implement service improvements for the compute & storage services that optimise costs, resources and service delivered.
- Adhere to a best practice Service Management and Architectural framework (ITIL, TOGAF)
- Ensure that user experience and satisfaction is at the forefront of all activities.
- Drive customer satisfaction to over 90% and ensure SLA attainment is consistently above minimum requirements for the compute & storage services.
- Keep abreast of changing trends and market developments of current and future technologies.
- Identify new technologies that can provide benefit to the College.
Participation in the team's On-Call rota is discretionary, however it is hoped that the majority of the team will participate in the On-Call rota to ensure that the responsibility is shared between as many team members as possible.
Members of the team who are on probation will not be invited to participate in the rota. Once a person has completed their probation, they will then be incorporated into the rota as soon as is feasible.Key skills and experience required
(E) - Essential
(D) - Desirable
- Education to degree standard and/or equivalent qualifications/experience (D)
- Linux certification such as Red Hat Certified Engineer or SUSE Certified Linux Administrator or equivalent experience (D)
- Strong Linux administration skills with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) CentOS, or Ubuntu (E)
- Excellent Linux troubleshooting skills and knowledge of problem resolution methodologies (E)
- Experience with scripting or other automation tools such as Ansible (E)
- Working knowledge of Virtualisation platforms (VMware, Hyper-V) (E)
- Experience with Open source monitoring tools (Zabbix, Nagios, Cacti) (E)
- Linux authentication services (integration into AD) (E)
- Familiarity with database systems including MySQL (D)
- ITIL qualification (Foundation Minimum) (D)
- TOGAF (D)
- Good knowledge of IT Security protocols, processes, policies and standards (D)
- Experience of managing small projects (D)
- Experience in operational IT planning and execution (D)
- Involvement in implementing IT security policy and standards (D)
- Experience in IT service management, including change, incident and problem management (E)
- Demonstration of the technical skills needed to handle innovation and change resulting from the implementation of new IT solutions (E)
- Experience of working with ITIL based Service processes and functions including Service Desk and Service Process Managers (E)
- Experience and knowledge of supporting technical solutions in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment (E)
- Good knowledge of industry technical standards (E)
- Experience of working with enterprise scale applications, infrastructure and software (E)
- Proven ability to write technical documentation and operational manuals (E)
- Experience working in an Agile environment to deliver service improvement (D)
- Appreciation of the contemporary problems and issues facing the HE sector (D)
- Ability to identify and manage priorities (E)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (E)
- Excellent relationship and interpersonal skills (E)
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audience (E)
- Innovative and proactive approach to work (E)
- Ability to set and achieve goals for self (E)
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels (E)
- Willingness to update professional knowledge and a commitment to continuous improvement (E)