At GitHub, our mission is to be the home for all developers. More than a billion people in the world live with disabilities and we are determined to build a GitHub that is inclusive.
GitHub is seeking a software engineer to join a new Accessibility team within our UI Platform team. The UI Platform team extracts patterns and best practices from our engineering organization and builds frameworks that enable the next generation of interactive experiences that our internal and external developers use every day in their development workflows.
The new Accessibility team will not only work to make sure GitHub achieves and maintains compliance, but also enforce accessibility as a core fundamental for all of our frontend frameworks. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with a distributed and passionate team delivering features and improvements to our frontend platforms. Responsibilities:
- You will help build better process and tooling to ensure all code shipped at GitHub meets our accessibility standards
- You will help address accessibility bugs and improve the process to reduce our turnaround time
- You will directly engage with teams to guide their accessibility fixes and improve our OSS guidance for building UI with Primer
- You will collaborate with our Design Systems team to build and implement accessibility as a core requirement for our Primer component libraries
- You will collaborate closely with engineering, product, and design team members
- You will document the systems you help build
- You will coordinate with engineering and product leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- You will work with support to triage and debug technical support requests
- You will participate in on-call rotations with your team and actively improve service health
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- 3 years building and maintaining web applications
- Passionate about building accessible and inclusive products
- Experience with Git
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with API design
- Experience with production system monitoring & observability
- Passionate about healthy team culture and collaboration
Who We Are:
- Experience writing code that meets accessibility standards such as the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).
- Experience analyzing or auditing code for accessibility issues
- Remote work experience
- Experience maintaining a public API
- Experience building highly available distributed systems
- Prefer impact rather than activity
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world's most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together-as individuals and in teams-to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.Leadership Principles:
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice KindnessWhy You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.