Have you spent years farming Destiny bounties, or ticking off map icons in Assassin's Creed? Does your Nintendo Switch have pride of place on your bedside table - and do you love helping people use theirs better? We're looking for an experienced Section Editor or Deputy Editor who truly loves video games to run TechRadar's gaming channel, leading a team of writers to make passionate, world-class content for a global audience.
Reporting to the Global Editor-in-Chief, the Senior Gaming Editor is responsible for the entire output of the gaming channel. The successful candidate will shape the strategy behind TechRadar's gaming content, and directly manage both a Gaming Editor and Senior Staff Writer to help execute their selected approach. That includes deciding which games to cover, which types of articles to commission and what news should be covered on a daily basis. This person will have their ear to the ground on all the latest gaming trends, and be ready to react to whatever's exploding in popularity on any given day.
The ideal candidate will have several years of online editorial experience under their belt, with a discerning eye for copy. This person will know how to use analytics software and their SEO knowledge to find new traffic opportunities for TechRadar to pursue. Ideally, the right person will have a gaming or gaming-adjacent professional background, too, with a contact book to match.
The successful candidate will be prepared to attend events domestically and internationally on TechRadar's behalf (when it's safe to do so). This role will require a great editorial mind, but also someone with outstanding commercial sensibilities, who's capable of finding the right ecommerce content to publish as well as ensuring the latest and greatest games are reviewed.
In collaboration with the Gaming Editor, you'll help develop culturally relevant gaming articles and initiatives that expand TechRadar's remit, in the vein of our recent LGBTQ+ themed week. You'll have strong opinions on what matters in video games, and you'll possess the overall vision to take our gaming channel to the next level in the eyes of consumers and the industry.Key Role Responsibilities
RequirementsWhat do I need to succeed?
- Writing, commissioning and editing stories for TechRadar across multiple content types (news, deals content, recaps, tutorials, reviews, features, buying guides)
- Implementing an overall content strategy for the Gaming channel
- Managing both a Senior Staff Writer and Gaming Editor and ensuring their day-to-day output matches the goals of the channel
- Using industry contacts to develop meaty, exclusive stories and further establish TechRadar as a key player in the world of gaming
- Overseeing a deeper push into gaming guides content, a major opportunity for TechRadar
- Integration of ecommerce and SEO best practices
- Understand your key performance indicators, and ensure that you are delivering against them
- Identify opportunities to fill content gaps that enable the brand to serve its audience better
- Proven ability to write high quality, engaging, relevant content for an online audience in a full-time section editor or deputy editor role across multiple years
- A deep understanding of gaming, past and present, particularly in the world of consoles - although PC gaming experience is helpful, too
- Demonstrable experience in commissioning and editing content from freelancers
- Basic budget management and content planning experience
- Understanding of the basics of ecommerce, and how to write deals content
- Good communication skills
- Working knowledge of SEO, analytics software and social media
- Demonstrable ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment while collaborating well with others
- Direct experience of managing writers is a big plus