Director of Solutions Architecture (Drupal)
Based: UK WFH with some travel to Bristol and London when and where appropriate.
Reports to: David Corchado, Chief Digital Officer based in NY The Company:
Investis Digital has been at the forefront of digital communications for over two decades. We have more than 2,000 clients supported by 500 staff in 9 countries, including the UK, US, and India. We combine digital communications expertise, performance marketing and technology to deliver next generation services and experiences.
Our strategy is to help customers unlock their brand power through great storytelling. We build marketing strategies based on data, deliver consistent communications, and measure their effectiveness through continuous monitoring. We want to help our customers build deeper relationships with their audience, elevate their brand, and drive their overall business performance.
Investis has a proprietary approach to digital marketing called Connected Content™. The technology at the core of this offering is an enterprise-grade Drupal platform called Connect.ID.
Connect.ID is a PaaS engineered to support the development and launch of websites and apps faster and more predictably, without sacrificing on their quality or performance. The Connect.ID solution has a lower cost, accelerated setup, flexible hosting, best-in-class security, and supports any device in any situation.
Investis recently announced its acquisition of Microserve, a Bristol-based Drupal development company that specialises in cutting-edge website design, digital build projects, UX, strategy and website maintenance. The acquisition of Microserve further bolsters the commitment of Investis in developing a world-class Drupal deployment platform. The Role:
The Director of Solutions Architecture will own the development and technical architecture of the Connect.ID platform. They will manage software engineers and support staff to ensure the Connect.ID platform is effective, upgradable, supportable, standardized and secure.
The Director of Solutions Architecture will co-own the product roadmap for Connect.ID, working closely with product management and business strategy teams to deliver innovation and drive value for customers.
They will represent Connect.ID to colleagues and senior leadership, being the voice and champion for the platform and what it can achieve. The Director of Solutions Architecture will report to the Chief Digital Officer the most senior technology executive in the organization. Responsibilities:
- To lead the Drupal based Product development strategy, including designing the core software components, frameworks, and the overall Connect.ID technical strategy
- Provide technical leadership for the Drupal software engineering team, defining best coding standards and practices, providing technical mentoring and training to all developers and support staff
- Create functional specifications for Drupal projects, estimating costs, development hours, and other factors, proactively managing project risk and project scope creep
- To develop and utilise a philosophy of reusability within the Drupal engineering team, actively using atomized design features to produce faster and more effective outcomes
- Maintain technical expertise in Drupal, PHP, and related technologies by monitoring changes in technology, product releases, AWS platform, Apps Servers, Database servers, load balancing, DB performance tuning etc.
- Good understanding of docker and devOps as well as SaaS/FAAS based architectures and ensure Connect.ID platform can evolve within that direction.
- Be passionate about driving product innovation and differentiation, constantly evolve the technical architecture, continuously researching ways to improve the effectiveness and profitability of the platform
- Define end-to-end architecture from definition phase to go-live, perform detailed architectural risk analysis, architectural validation, and risk mitigation plans, define reusable components and frameworks, common schemas, standards, and tools
- Evaluate and define the architecture and frameworks for legacy applications migration, upgrades, and major development projects, working with infrastructure and application development teams to solve cross-functional design issues
- Manage and mentor the Drupal support team delivering legacy platform upgrades, ensure they are working consistently and can effectively deliver the strategic migration plan
- Ensuring the product can respond to changing needs of internal and external stakeholders and updated releases can be deployed to existing customers with appropriate roll-out strategy
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholder teams, represent the Connect.ID platform in customer pitches when appropriate, add value in a pre-sales capacity for major new business wins
- Understand the difference between product vs project-based development and able to drive the development teams behind the similar philosophy.
- 10 years of experience developing software solutions or websites
- Experience gathering website design project requirements, assisting in defining scope, writing functional specifications and estimates resourcing and cost on projects
- A previous solutions architect or similar, someone highly experienced in implementing complex product services or cloud-based software solutions within a PaaS or product environment
- Should possess significant Drupal 7/8 development experience and be capable of managing Drupal engineering teams, should also have significant experience of Drupal architecture, different versions and iterations of Drupal, upgrades, frameworks, and familiarity with Drupal best practices, Drupal accreditation is desirable
- Experience in a systems architecture role or similar. Experience of using one or more CMS (like WordPress, Jumla etc.) in an architecture and technical landscape, experience of defining and realizing end-to-end solution architecture for large and complex systems, some DevOps experience useful
- Experience of integrating third party applications, API's and CRMs within Drupal based architecture.
- Experience of deploying caching technologies like Varnish and CDN services and optimising the websites for these platforms. Understanding the principles of performance tuning the website stacks from clients to servers.
- Previous experience of using decoupled Drupal with web service API's and/or adopting a precompiled Drupal approach is useful, familiarity of reusable CMS functionality including atomized design and component libraries extremely relevant
- Well versed in agile based development models like scrum, Kanban or DSDM etc.
- Experience managing development practices including tracking and measuring team productivity and output
- Drupal Grandmaster certification a big plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Exposure to/knowledge of the following technologies is also highly beneficial:
• Varnish/MemCache etc.
• Amazon Web Services