As the world's largest recipe-sharing community, Cookpad enables millions of people to find and share recipe ideas. It's a global platform used by 100 million people, in over 30 languages, and in more than 70 countries.
Cookpad is looking for a Python Software Engineer to join our global headquarters in Bristol (remotely to start with). You will be part of our growing Search Team, whose focus is on delivering a world-leading joined-up search experience to solve real problems for our diverse community.
Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. Because we believe that cooking is the key to a happier and healthier life for people, communities, and the planet.
As a Python Software Engineer joining us in this you will help build our next-generation search platform, using your skills to develop, test, and deploy sustainable and beautiful web APIs, machine learning inference services, and data processing pipelines. This is a unique opportunity to join a growing team at an exciting phase of development. You will work at the cutting edge of search engineering. Your expertise will be instrumental in building and scaling out a platform that combines vast quantities of real-time data with domain-leading machine learning to deliver real impact to more than 100 million users worldwide.What are we looking for?
Our existing team covers a wide variety of different skills and we're looking to broaden this yet further. Here are a few broad areas in which our team works. Can you picture yourself having an impact in one of these areas? Do you have an eagerness to advance your knowledge in one or more of these areas? Please highlight this when applying.
A typical day might include any of the following
- APIs and services Building fast, flexible APIs and the data processing that underpins them. Designing APIs to be used by a variety of users - from cooks across the world, to internal users like engineers and community managers. Building libraries, services, and tooling that accelerate the pace of delivery.
- Search at scale Deep knowledge of the Elasticsearch query DSL and performance tuning for real-time applications at global scale. Skills in data exploration using Kibana.
- Search science The algorithms and methods that make search more relevant. Identifying opportunities to improve search quality - from relevance engineering to machine learning to natural language processing and beyond. Devising evaluation methodologies to measure search quality and developing experiments to validate them.
Who You AreRequirements
- Implement and deploy a new experimental HTTP API endpoint to test an unproven feature concept against our existing baseline (and being prepared to fail fast, revert and rethink!).
- Implement a change in system architecture to improve an onerous or error prone area of development, subsequently helping the team make the most of the change.
- Explore API performance to further improve response times while still ensuring results are hyper-relevant for every user.
- Refactor a section of code to fix the flaky test that seems to intermittently fail, especially when you want to release something new and exciting to production.
- Review another team member's PR, offering "must", "should", "could", and "would" guidance that finds the sweet spot between delivery and improvement.
- Add a step to CI to automate an element of PR review, freeing team time to spend on other development work.
- You have substantial experience of working in a software team delivering features at pace.
- You love writing software using Python. You deliver tested, reliable, and maintainable software.
- You prefer working on backend engineering problems, including contributing to projects such as building web APIs, data processing pipelines, and project tooling. You leave beautiful clean code behind that other developers love to work with.
- You'll have experience of, or are excited to learn about, some of the other technologies we apply at Cookpad, such as Apache Spark (PySpark), Apache Kafka, Elasticsearch, AWS, Terraform, Docker, and Kubernetes (but don't let not having any of these stop you applying if you have something else to bring!).
- You are passionate about continuous integration and delivery, and apply these principles when building software, striving to ship your work quickly and often.
- You'll want to have a hand not only in deciding how our software is built, but in understanding who it's being built for and why they need our help.
Our heritage is unique Cookpad was founded in Japan in 1997 and is a listed company in Tokyo. We set up our international HQ in the UK and here we're a start-up, building the global platform and working with our colleagues around the world.
Cookpad is growing at speed and we're looking for exceptional people who make things happen and create solutions on the scale we're looking for.
It feels like a start-up with global ambition. We work in small, collaborative teams and in a creative, fast-paced environment.BenefitsWhy join Cookpad?
People join us because they share our vision to improve people's lives. As a company Cookpad invests heavily in learning and development - we hire smart people who thrive in small, highly collaborative and energised teams, and who look at what we do and want to be part of it.
Valuing our team means we offer competitive salaries, an employee referral scheme and very generous benefits, including 7% employer pension contribution, income protection and life insurance, and an employee referral scheme. We are central to transport hubs and bike routes which helps with flexible working and all-important downtime with family and friends.
In our usual working environment breakfast is provided every day, we have a fully stocked and fully equipped team kitchen where we can cook together and there are weekly pilates/ yoga classes.
In this interim period due to the current global pandemic we are working to keep as many of our perks as possible available to our staff. This includes moving the pilates/ yoga classes online as well as company socials and attendance of meetups.Equal Opportunity
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.Your Privacy
When applying for a job with Cookpad, we will collect personal data about you. We use that personal data for recruitment and hiring related activities, including analysis of those activities. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of the General EU Data Protection Regulation and UK GDPR as necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.