Established in 2007, Spabreaks.com made an immediate name within the travel sector and quickly became Europe's leading Spa Travel Agency. Having opened with just 2 staff and 25 UK based venues we have been on a rollercoaster journey and have now grown to a team of 100, working with over 1000 of the world's leading spa hotels. We send away over 6000 travellers each week, have won multiple industry awards, and are now a multi-site operation with offices in London and Brighton... and we are just getting started!
What makes us unique? Our people. Our employees are the life of our business and by joining our incredible tech team you will become part of the most talented, ambitious passionate, collaborative and entrepreneurial team in travel as we continue to make huge waves in the market and further our position as Europe's leading Spa travel company.The Role
As a member of the Spabreaks.com website team you will pair program on features and improvements across a range of customer-facing websites and API services.
The team consists of developers, designers and product experts, all working to support the needs of the business and customers while actively modernising the website's design and technical foundations.
Your time will be spent on server-side development in Ruby, occasionally dipping into infrastructure and client-side programming. Typical tasks for the team span multiple systems at a time, hosted on different platforms, in our own as well as third-party code.
We are looking for a talented senior software developer who will be part of a team that will shape the delivery of features on SpaBreaks.com by focusing on exploring, identifying, evaluating, building and promoting the right technology, tools and processes.
Please note that this role is based full time at our Brighton Office in the UK.Responsibilities
- Write code with an eye for continuous improvement through refactoring
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to other team members and review the work of peers
- Act as point of contact for technical issues for work streams and production incidents
- Implement product features working as part of a cross-functional team using agile methodologies
- Champion and drive ongoing technical improvements in application architecture to build and design scalable systems
- You build it, you run it - you will not only be part of building applications but also in operations, checking and observing that the application runs well in our production environments
- Contribute to Sprint planning and feature slicing, balancing product requirements, technical needs and project risks
What we value
- Open to constructive feedback
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Self motivation and willingness to learn and share
- Passion for improving quality and processes
- An excellent pair programmer and a TDD practitioner
- Able to collaborate with our stakeholders to make sure we're always working on the right things
Core technical competencies
Other Desirable Experience
- Solid understanding of object-oriented and functional style programming paradigms
- Solid understanding and application of test driven development
- Demonstrable experience with CI/CD
- Demonstrable experience working with Git
- Demonstrable understanding of software engineering principles such as SOLID, domain driven design, etc.
- Familiarity with distributed concepts
- Experience working on e-commerce platform
- Exposure or familiarity with Kubernetes, Google Cloud, Contentful
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Friday afternoon's allocated for training and non-project work
- Option of working 2 days from home (subject to agreement with line manager)
- Company socials
- Path to Wellness programme including Employee Assistance Programme and subsidised gym membership