Lead Engineer - Systems and ControlsLocation - Larbert / Scarborough / Skelmersdale / Guildford / BallymenaCompetitive package + half day on Fridays
More than half of the buses that you see on the roads in the UK are made by Alexander Dennis. Globally, there's over 25,000 people every minute, of every day using our products. That's a lot of responsibility we have for keeping the world moving.
At Alexander Dennis we design, engineer, build and support the widest range of market leading buses and coaches using low, ultra-low and zero emission technologies. We have extensive experience in vehicle supply and support across Europe, Asia Pacific and North America, with a near 50 50 revenue split between UK and international markets.
We are excited about the opportunities arising from the global push for lower pollution and better air quality. The UK Government as well as many others around the world have committed to aggressive but achievable decarbonisation agendas and at Alexander Dennis, we are ready to deliver the green buses needed to transition to cleaner transport.
Engineering at Alexander Dennis takes many forms; however, in simple terms, we design buses and coaches by seamlessly integrating third party components (engines, transmissions etc.) into the Alexander Dennis designed Chassis and Body, all to meet our customers exacting requirements.
We are looking for a Lead Engineer, based from any of our UK locations, who can guide a team of our skilled engineers to design, develop and maintain whole vehicle electronic control architectures and associated software applications. You will play a pivotal role in ensuring reliable and safe compliance in global markets and adoption of, or compatibility with relevant emerging systems and technologies.Why join
- You'll have an interesting and technically challenging workload from day one, where you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from an experienced and established team of experts in the UK and globally.
- You'll take great pride and satisfaction in seeing your designs quickly become reality and delighting our customers time after time.
- We're at the forefront of automotive technology and you'll get to work on all types of vehicle drivelines from diesel to hydrogen fuel cells, to hybrids and full electric vehicles, contributing significantly to the de-carbonisation of the environment.
- Innovation and new product development is at the heart of our success and you'll get exposure to exciting projects across multiple technologies and geographies.
- Career development is not necessarily linear, so whether you want to progress on to Principal Engineer, or perhaps your interests are in Operations or Commercial. Either way, you'll have plenty of opportunities available to you. Throughout your time with us you'll gain exposure to all parts of the business, enhancing your profile and future career opportunities.
- As part of the USD $2.9bn NFI Group, you can be assured that there will be plenty of opportunities made available to you. This could be in the UK or any one of our global locations around the world, including Toronto, Hong Kong or Auckland.
- We'll gladly support with helping you achieve professional qualifications such as IET.
- On top of a competitive package, which includes progressive pay potential and pension, we also operate a half day on Fridays, giving you that much needed work-life-balance.
- Due to the technical nature of the role, you will be educated to degree level in relevant discipline (or equivalent experience) along with experience in a similar role as defined in this advert.
- Ideally your work experience will be gained in the automotive industry and in particular; bus, coach, HGV, specialist vehicles or tier-1 suppliers where you will have built a detailed understanding of vehicle electrical systems and controls.
- We would also welcome those from mobile plant, rail and rolling stock, aerospace, marine, or other similarly complex manufacturing and engineering companies.
- You will have strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to manage projects and guide multidisciplinary teams both on site and remotely.
- You should have knowledge of communication protocols and tools, e.g. CAN, LIN, IP
- Experience of model-based software development in Simulink/Stateflow.
- Alongside strong problem-solving skills, you will be capable of planning and delivery of concurrent tasks and projects.
- Ability to work in a structured engineering process-oriented environment, with experience of software quality and management processes.
In your new role you will
- Experience of Vector, dSPACE, Polarion and Teamcenter tools or similar.
- Experience of maintaining effective requirements management.
- Experience in the use of HIL rigs and test automation - Speedgoat or similar.
- Familiarity with ISO26262 or equivalent functional safety standards.
- Experience of powertrain and high voltage control systems.
- Lead and undertake the design, development, verification and on-time delivery of control architectures and software for new and existing products and systems throughout product and application lifecycles.
- Lead teams of on-shore and off-shore engineers and design partners on one or more projects to define, deliver and verify design requirements with sign-off through DFMEA, design review and supplier approval processes.
- Provide technical expertise and strategic thinking to lead the innovative development of architectures, distributed control systems and software, including their supporting systems and diagnostic tools.
- Ensure software management, development and revision control processes provide traceability and controlled access to vehicle software applications and documentation through effective Application Lifecycle Management (ALM).
- Undertake and lead end-to-end model-based software development through a v-model approach, taking lead responsibility for specific projects or changes from concept through to engineering sign-off and release, with verification through simulation, Hardware-In-Loop rig and vehicle-level integration tests.
- Interface directly with internal and external customers on technical issues and requirements capture. Ensuring high customer satisfaction through safe, reliable and well supported implementations.
- Prepare and present technical documentation and papers, generating designs and documents to the relevant quality and safety standards.
- Lead the definition of and compliance with relevant internal and international standards, best practice and legislation.
- Contribute to a strategy to develop and maintain intuitive diagnostics and telematics systems to provide enhanced service and operational capabilities.
- Arrange and co-ordinate activities with internal and external partners or suppliers to achieve quality, cost and delivery targets for each project.
If this sounds like you, then we would love to hear from you. Alongside uploading your CV, it would be great if you could include a short covering letter detailing the four or so reason why you are suited to the role.