A platform engineer is responsible for the uptime, innovation, and quality of the Netspeak platform. We run our own games at Netspeak - on our own containerized cloud-agnostic technology. This includes running the game servers, building microservices for access and storage of the game data, and any observability needs of the game engineers (logging, tracing, metrics, etc.).
You will be ensuring that the platform is running in multiple locations, can deal with the load and scale appropriately based on usage. The team is responsible for building out new capabilities (social, friends, matchmaking, etc.) and working closely with the game teams to meet their needs. Responsibilities:
- Build platform services, tools & processes ranging from custom game logic to leveraging open source ensuring the platform meets the needs of our games.
- Collaborate with the game teams to ensure their vision & requirements are satisfied by the platform; document technical requirements; and ensure that they are updated with the capabilities of the platform
- Automate as much as possible including builds, workflows & tools
- Liaise with the production & analytics teams & offer guidance where possible - Netspeak is a very data-driven company!
- Design and architect the platform for not only our current needs but keeping the platform malleable to future changes
Netspeak aims to build worlds that people want to spend time in. Your mission is to bring life to those worlds through technology - by enabling the game teams to move faster and take bigger risks.
You are the driving force behind the platform. You will be empowered to make decisions and improvements that will benefit stakeholders designing, building & running games. From ensuring the games are scheduled efficiently to having ownership of the error rates of our data services (social, game data, etc.).
- Must knowledge of programming fundamentals in any language (Go, Python, C++, Rust, etc.)
- Must knowledge of cloud technologies such as Kubernetes, GCP/AWS, serverless, etc.
- Ideally designed & implemented programmable APIs (interfaces, REST, RPCs, etc.)
- Ideally experience supporting an application in production
- No formal qualifications required (degree level education preferred, however)
- No need to have worked in games previously