Company DescriptionSnook is a design studio built to make the world more human. We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this with our design team, engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.In the past five years we've more than doubled in size to a team approaching 40 people, opened a new London studio, and worked with brilliant clients - from Cancer Research UK to Hackney City Council, Tesco to the Scottish Government.Learn More About Snook's Exciting Journey Here.We have big plans for the next three years and are seeking people who can join us, working with our partners and clients to design services that support people to thrive.Below, you'll find information on our requirements, the job responsibilities, our values, what we're looking for, what we offer, and how to apply.We work with organisations to design more effective services which help people thrive. We do this by engaging with users, building digital products, training our clients, and much more.This year we're eleven years old. In the past five years, we've scaled to more than double our original size when we started up in Scotland. We now have over 80 people across the UK. And we've worked with brilliant clients - from Cancer Research UK and Tesco to Hackney City Council and the Scottish Government.Job Description
As a Senior Developer at Snook, you will work alongside our other disciplines to assist in the day-to-day running of the development work within our digital team, and provide oversight over technical delivery.
You will work with the team to develop digital products and services, making the best use of budget to provide value for our clients and to our internal projects.
You will help create a strong team ethic and foster a culture of partnership, consistent delivery, operational excellence and continuous improvement. You will foster strong engineering practices, team dynamics and delivery.
Our developers will sit within the Digital team and will collaborate across our user-centered disciplines, including service design, user research, interaction design, content design, and accessibility.
- Able to lead multidisciplinary project teams to design, and develop digital products, throughout the entire product life-cycle.
- Strong experience in working with agile, user centered design and lean approaches to product development.
- Able to drive technical direction in projects and assure they meet accessibility, scalability, robustness and security requirements.
- Develop our technology practices including test-driven development, code review, pair-programming, QA, and professional development and training.
- Willing to work collaboratively to both give and receive feedback within a shared code ownership team.
- Experience in designing and building accessible and inclusive live digital products and/or services.
Please note, when safe to do so, you would need to be able to commute to either the London or Glasgow studio.Qualifications
- Experienced with full-stack development in a variety of programming languages. Our current tech stack at Snook includes: Ruby on Rails, Node.js and React.js.
- Experience working in various sectors in developing, testing, deploying and improving digital products and services in a continuous delivery environment.
- Advocate for Test Driven Development (TDD) and/or Behavioral Test Driven Development (BDD) approaches.
- Ability to incrementally define and improve the software and teach others.
- Experience of skillfully translating and communicating technical concepts for non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience consulting and/or coaching clients on best software and agile practices.
- Some experience working in or with the public sector would be an added bonus
- Snook offer a competitive salary, 29.5 holidays per year (including public holidays), additional annual Christmas closure and a supportive maternity leave policy
- We provide an annual training budget for external opportunities from talks and conferences to more bespoke hands-on training
- We respect that people have commitments and provide flexible working hours through discussion
- We have an annual team-away retreat for us to come together as a company, taking time out to learn, reflect, and eat snacks.
- We spend a Friday together every quarter as one studio to run show and tells
- Every Monday morning, we have a team breakfast where we eat together and share our ambitions for the week ahead
- We are an equal opportunity, Disability Confident and Living Wage Foundation employer
- We have a bike to work scheme and free membership to HeadSpace the mental health app
- We support you with a Snook buddy when you join to get you started
Please note unfortunately we are unable to sponsor visas