Head of Delivery
- Software Development, Agile Software Delivery, Agile Project Management
- Manchester City Centre
Leading the software delivery function for a B2B software development company. You'll be driving the software development function of a small technology business (less than 100 people), implementing best-practice delivery functions, and helping to shape the growth and organisation of the business into the future.
- Permanent position.
- Office: Manchester City Centre.
- Up to £120,000 + wider benefits package.
- Currently fully remote, with a balance of office working and remote working in the future.
Managing software delivery is an extremely difficult task to do. But you already know this, right?
You have to manage diverse functions across development, infrastructure, data, support. The list goes on.
You then have to manage internal stakeholders. You need to translate the impacts of technology and why it's important to people who don't speak tech.
You then have to strategise the future direction. What tech are you keeping up with? What's the new thing on the horizon?
You have to do this whilst making sure "best practice" is followed. Setting up the squads. Driving Agile. Setting up the Sprint plans. All whilst trying to get the best out of your team and colleagues.
If this terrifies you, then please don't apply.
If, however, you've read this and find these areas exciting then please get in touch. We're working with a business who needs you to do these things and more.What are the core features of the role?
What are they looking for?
- Drive agile working and best-practice in software delivery. Manage, coach, train and support the delivery function with this.
- Manage what is currently a small delivery & development team. There are plans to scale and grow and so it will include the management and hiring of new people into the team.
- Manage the development of brand new products from concept to delivery.
- Look to integrate new solutions into their current tech offering, and how bespoke components can be built and integrated into these.
- Plan the strategy and long-term direction of the technology function.
- Analyse and evaluate current ways of working and look for short-term and long-term areas of improvement.
- Drive best working practices. Again, look at the agile working practices of the squads and look at areas in which this can be improved.
- Embed technology across the business. Build strong relationships with stakeholders at all levels and get their "buy in" for key projects and workstreams.
- Get the best out of people. To be someone who can mentor, coach and lead people through challenging projects.
What can you expect in return?
- A strong background of working in a delivery role. You'll have ran a development / delivery function over multiple product squads.
- A good understanding of the SDLC. You'll have experience of delivering software from conception to delivery, with ongoing improvements and features beyond.
- Experience of working in a "scaling" business. Do you understand the challenges of scaling teams? Where best to grow functions? And the headaches that come with this.
- A "people person". Someone who can build strong relationships and who can inspire and lead people.
- Great communication skills. You'll be dealing with stakeholders at all levels, most of which will not understand the challenges with technology. You will need to be able to break this down and communicate the challenges in languages that they will understand.
- A strong knowledge of all areas of technology. You might not be an expert in development, big data, AI, or infrastructure. But you understand all areas of the technology ecosystem and know what experts you need and where you need them. You'll need to be able to manage the people who are managing products, development teams, support teams, infrastructure teams, and so you need to have a well-rounded background in technology.
- To be commercially aware. You'll need to understand the challenges with finances and to work with internal stakeholders to look at budgets and financial planning.
- A great working environment; an award-winning business, supportive environment, training & development budgets, team socials (in the future!) and a great environment to go to work in.
- Freedom and autonomy; you will be responsible for the direction of how this role develops and grows
- A very supportive team; you'll be working with an experienced team of technologists who are there to support you at all times
- The opportunity to grow and build a business function; you will have immediate hiring requirements which you will have control over.
- Growth opportunities within the wider organisation.