Junior Developer (PHP)Location:
£25,000 - £30,000 dependent on experience + benefitsWorking Hours:
40 hours per week Monday - FridayJob Status:
PermanentWho we are
We're the biggest name in Europe's vehicle remarketing industry, selling 1.3m vehicles per annum, across 60 locations and with a turnover of £2billion. We believe our people are the best in the business, they are friendly, expert and professional.
BCA is so much more than selling cars, from the dock to defleet and beyond, BCA touches over 3.5m vehicles a year, working with OEMs, fleet operators and dealers to provide the backbone of the UK's automotive supply chain. From technical and logistics services for new vehicles, refurbishment, storage and logistics for the growing used sector and the core remarketing and auction operation, BCA offers the economies of scale and diversity of services to meet the needs of an impressive portfolio of customers.Why work for BCA
We are always interested in talented people to join our team. Because our employees are so important, we treat them properly. We try to make working for BCA rewarding in every sense, including a positive work environment, training and development opportunities as well as exciting career options.
As a company we are very charity focused with regular events taking place throughout the year to support various charitable organisations.
We offer plenty of benefits to our staff including:
Main Purpose of the Role
- Onsite parking
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Eye care scheme
- Access to BCA Rewards which provides online and store discounts with a range of retailers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Training/apprenticeship offering
- Deals on new cars
We require a junior/mid-level PHP developer to join our growing in-house development team. You will have the opportunity to develop and grow whilst working alongside our development partners on our exciting PHP based products. Commercial experience is not a mandatory requirement, but a thirst for knowledge and a love of coding is!Expectations and opportunities:
Knowledge and Experience:
- By being part of a supportive team, you will have the opportunity to learn best practice software development alongside some very experienced and professional people.
- You will be a self-directed learner who strives to stay up to date with relevant technologies and also develop all areas of your programming skill.
- There will be excellent career progression opportunities together with formal training where appropriate.
- You will be guided by your Technical Lead, Senior Developers and/or Software Engineering Manager.
- You will likely be working remotely a great deal of the time (especially in the current Cov-ID19 climate), as such you will be required to self-manage your time, and to be available during business hours in order to participate in team meetings and assist in application support.
- Once COVID restrictions lift, you will be expected to be able to travel to various BCA locations when required.
- You will learn all aspects of commercial software development and will be expected to be enthusiastic when learning new technologies and skills.
- As time goes on, and when the COVID restrictions lift, there may be opportunities to travel to visit remote development teams.
- You will be expected to maintain a professional and friendly relationship with other members of the development teams, both outsourced and in-house team members.
- We enjoy a diverse range of cultures within our teams and you will welcome the chance to learn from this incredibly rich cache of experience.
- You will be interacting with various product stakeholders within the business and will be required to maintain a positive relationship with such. An important part of this relationship will be building and developing your soft skills to enable you to effectively communicate technical details to non-technical individuals.
Whilst this is a junior/mid-level developer role, the following experience would be required as a minimum:
- Some experience developing PHP applications using version control(can be personal projects)
- A working knowledge of LAMP stack development
- A working knowledge of a PHP framework (eg: Symfony, Slim)
- An interest in object-oriented programming (OOP)
- A working knowledge and/or interest in testing
- At least a pass grade in a level 3 (A level, BTEC) IT based qualification.
Our policy is to employ the best qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability