As a technology company, we are fortunate to be able to work 100% remotely during these unprecedented times. Over 20% of employees have joined Findmypast since the start of the pandemic and we have made sure our people are well supported, found new ways to connect while working remotely and even held our annual offsite company meeting virtually for the first time.
Looking to the future in a post pandemic world, we anticipate that our teams might spend 30% or more of their time collaborating in person at our offices in either our London or Dundee hubs and up to 70% remotely.
Underpinned by our technical and business values, we're very open about how me make software. Those values are represented by the things we do:
Our tech stack
- Collaborate daily with pair programming.
- Care about quality; testing our own code.
- Deploying to production multiple times a day; we typically record 1000+ monthly deployments with a commit lead time of ~40 mins.
- Dedicate an hour of our working day to learning to help empower us to mitigate the challenges of our work.
Don't worry if you don't know our languages or technologies, although the more you know will help your application. We help all our new Engineers get up to speed quickly through a thoughtful and supportive induction programme.What you'll be doing
You will be joining our engineering team and be a valued member working closely in a collaborative, autonomous, cross-functional team. You will help with:
- Designing, developing and deploying user experiences with a focus on usability, high availability, low latency and scalability.
- Building out and improving our new Node.js backend systems, to meet the needs of a modern and growing business.
- Operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team in a DevOps culture.
- Continuously improving our product by innovating on the service through the usage of A/B tests.
If you're keen to read more about how our Engineering team works and hear about some recent remote onboarding experiences, check out our tech blog: https://tech.findmypast.com/Requirements
Our interview process:
- You have a proven track record in Software Engineering roles, with exposure to both front and back-end development.
- You have a few years of commercial experience coding with React and Node.js, and you are up for learning more!
- You love learning and embrace our self-directed daily learning hour, mentorship, engineering communities of practice and professional development opportunities.
- You have deep knowledge of and care about sound engineering practices like pair programming, upfront automated testing, continuous deployment, and trunk-based development.
- You are a strong communicator and love working as part of a team.
- Call with a member of our People Team.
- Interview with an Engineering Lead and a few Engineers from the team.
- Pair with a few Engineers.
- Help us to impact the way people research social and family history!
We've come a long way from our early days digitising historical records to now: a fast-growing, consumer subscription tech company with a talented team, engaging products, millions of users around the globe, and billions of online historical records. Our mission is to connect people to their family stories.
There are real opportunities for ambitious people to gain new experiences, solve interesting problems, take responsibility for new products and initiatives, and advance their careers. We work in collaborative, cross-functional teams. We value our diverse and welcoming culture. We stay connected and celebrate success together in our weekly tech demos and (currently virtual) social activities. Our values - Honour History, Stay Curious, Create Magic and Be Human - provide the compass for how we work together and invent together.Benefits
We're passionate about making FMP a great place to work and setting people up to succeed. Benefits include:
- 26 days holidays + UK bank holidays. We also offer the option to purchase up to 4 additional days.
- Excellent pension contribution from day one of up to 15.5% of your basic salary (9.5% matched company contribution with a 6% contribution from the employee's side).
- Flexible working, as we want all our employees to have a brilliant work-life balance.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- L&D budget and access to learning and training opportunities.
- Various social remote activities to keep connected as a company.
- Employee Assistance Programme, wellbeing app access and Mental Health First Aiders.
- Life assurance.
- Private medical insurance, health and dental cash plan options.
- Gym membership and staff discounts.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Season travel tickets.
- Subscriptions to Findmypast and British Newspaper Archive.
We are an equal opportunity employer and want Findmypast to be the best company for all our diverse employees and customers. We encourage applications from everyone and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status or any other protected characteristics. If you'd like a deeper understanding of our commitment to diversity, check out our careers page to hear from our CEO, Tamsin. Should you require adjustments to be made to the recruitment process, please let us know and if you'd like to share your pronouns then please do!
If you are a recruitment agency, please be aware that we're not looking for additional assistance with recruitment. Please do not send us CVs. We will not be responsible for fees related to unsolicited CVs.