Type 2 diabetes has become a global epidemic; in the UK, we spend £9 billion a year alone (that's 10% of the NHS budget) on treating this. What's shocking is most of this is preventable - through sustained lifestyle and behaviour change.Enter Second Nature
We're here to help people take control of their health. By bringing together behavioural science, technology, and incredible people, our grand mission is to eradicate the global epidemic of chronic lifestyle diseases once and for all.Our stage
We closed our Series A fundraising in December 2019 and we're now expanding domestically and internationally. We have a team of 100 people (mostly UK based), which will continue to expand over the coming years.
We're now looking for bright and impactful engineers to join our team and engineer solutions to this epidemic.The role
You will be the lead engineer in one of our pods focused on one of our core company goals. You'll be responsible for the delivery of software by your pod and line manage the engineers in that pod. You'll be encouraged to leave your mark on our engineering culture with your technical leadership. You'll set high standards in terms of speed and quality. You will still be hands on, building features across our whole product and working closely with our health coaching and growth teams to understand, and then build, what our users need.RequirementsWho are you?
As a bonus, we'd love it if you tick any of these boxes
- You have 4+ years of software engineering experience
- You have 1+ years management experience
- Your management style enables other engineers
- You want to build a product that changes people's lives
- You take ownership of product features from inception to release
- You are thorough and take pride in your work
- You can solve complex problems quickly
- You appreciate software design as a craft but make pragmatic decisions when needed
- You build iteratively so you can see features in the hands of users within days
- You adapt and enjoy the ride in a fast-changing start up environment
- You have a deep understanding of Node.js
- You have experience monitoring production infrastructure and applications
- You have have implemented lean management practices in your previous teams
- React Native for iOS and Android apps
- Node.js + Express for our API servers
- MongoDB is our main database
- Next.js for our web frontend
- You can see the impact your work is having on improving thousands of people's lives and tackling the obesity epidemic on a daily basis
- You'll get to work with amazing, friendly, smart colleagues all incredibly passionate about solving the type 2 diabetes epidemic
- You'll have autonomy and responsibility for your work direction
- Currently the entire team is working from home, but we've always offered a flexible working environment where you can work from home when you need to and would continue to do this in future
- We have regular company-sponsored socials (pub drinks, team dinners, board games and movie nights) - currently this is all remote but will hopefully be back to normal soon!
- You can find out more about working with us here.