Owlstone Medical's mission is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; our vision is to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath and with our defence and security business growing, we are now looking for Physicists and Engineers to help us develop our new products.
As an Engineer at Owlstone you will play a key role in developing detection and diagnosis systems based on our core technologies for both our medical and our defence and security products (owlstoneinc.com). You will be tasked with bringing together electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and software components in order to develop and test innovative products throughout the development lifecycle. This role will require a hands-on approach with the ability to apply technical skill and knowledge to solve a wide variety of problems. You will need the ability to work carefully on specific engineering problems required in the development of complex devices capable of meeting international standards.Key Tasks & Accountabilities
- All aspects of Mechanical design
- Use of CAD packages (ideally SolidWorks) to create 3D CAD models and 2D drawings
- Design of prototypes and practical, hands-on lab testing of designs
- Mechanical analysis of designs, including tolerance analysis, based on a strong understanding of mechanical principles and manufacturing techniques
- Leading and contributing to design reviews
RequirementsEducation & Training
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capability
- Ability to work flexibly within a dynamic, multidisciplinary team
- Excellent communication skills at all levels within the business
Experience / Knowledge
- Degree / HNC/ HND or apprentice in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design Engineering or equivalent
- Knowledgeable in a wide range of manufacturing / fabrication and finishing processes
- Experience in designing metal, plastic injection moulded and ceramic components
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping methods
- Full understanding of product development processes
- Experience with new process introduction and/or continuous improvement
- Experience working with complex electromechanical systems
- Experience of working within quality control systems such as ISO 9001 and/or ISO 13485
- Experience of design for manufacture, assembly and review processes (eg, dFMEA)
- Experience in mechanical simulation and FEA is advantageous
BenefitsAbout Owlstone Medical
- 3D CAD (preferably SolidWorks)
- GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing)
- 3D printing, FDM, SLA
- Tolerance analysis
- Structured approach to problem solving (eg, six sigma, RCA, 8D, etc)
- Hands on workshop experience is advantageous
- Industrial design skills are advantageous
Owlstone Medical (www.owlstonemedical.com) is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about the metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in-breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people's lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. If you are concerned that your application has not been received by Owlstone Medical, please contact us using email@example.com.