Senior Software Engineer - Backend services
Job family; Technology, Systems & Delivery
£650-£700 per day
Full time contract, (mon-fri, 35 hours)
Remote (London, Manchester, Cardiff)
Responsible for the design, implementation and operation of software systems including second line support within an Agile and DevOps framework.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
• Lead the design and development of an effective software system that meets complex product and business needs.
• Review and give constructive feedback on others' code.
• Drive work to successful completion across the immediate team.
• Write appropriate tests for ensuring code quality and coverage.
• Understands the software with monitoring and support tools.
• Ensure the team's software works in its operating environment.
• Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation
• Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
• Participate in and lead as required, the team's agile planning and delivery process
• Effectively participate in and help improve the team's software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery.
• Work with project, product and technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at the feature and component level.
• Work with 3rd Party where necessary offering direction, support and documentation.
• Mentor and coach more junior staff. Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues.
• Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate.
• Experience with the RESTful web services.
• Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and services.
• Mitigate the non-functional and operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, scale, availability and resilience, security considerations)
• Expertise in web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
• Recent experience working in an Agile environment
• Demonstrable experience in using continuous integration tool - We use Jenkins
• Effective leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse stakeholders effectively
• Takes responsibility for driving work to completion across the team
• Test-driven development experience.
• Working knowledge of open web standards for Identity and Authentication management like OAuth2, OIDC.
• Experience of mentoring and supporting less experienced members of the team
•Line Management: Mentoring of more junior staff.
•Ad-hoc Teams: Participates in ad-hoc teams with up to 30 members
•Participation in process or technology strategy working groups as SME or to represent their team/division
•Participation in cross-divisional forums for improvement of share tools and practices
•Occasional participation as a temporary member in another unit or department as SME