Locations: Bristol, Peterborough
Salary: £35,895 - £40,613 (National)
The Group Infrastructure and Operations function within DDTS at Defra is recruiting 2 Operational Service Design Managers to influence and guide the operational design of service ensuring that new and changed services are fit for purpose, and compliment other current IT services across Defra.
The Design Manager will be involved in lower impact or non-business critical projects and will also be responsible for assuring designs produced by Project Managers are fit for purpose and align to DDTS service management models.
You will be assigned projects, supporting them and working with stakeholders to ensure IT services meet business needs through the end to end provision of service level agreements. For example, you may be working on the availability of services and detail on how to support consumers of the services when the service is unavailable. You may be playing a pivotal role in supporting Defra's business continuity processes.
• Produce operational service design packages, working across all areas of IT, for new, changed and retiring services including advice and guidance on operational service management.
• Recommend the service management operating model that should be adopted to the business based on an analysis of service management activities, business requirements and cost.
• Proactively engage with suppliers to ensure the collaborative service design package meets the business' needs using Defra's architectural, commercial and design principles.
• Promote service design policies and procedures, providing guidance and awareness to all stakeholders.
• Ensure full impact and consideration of all availability, capacity, service continuity, security and performance criteria and requirements in the design of the new solutions and liaise with relevant subject matter experts (SMEs).
• Ensuring the consideration of all ongoing support costs as part of the service design package by evidencing volumetric data and ensuring the compilation and inclusion of the whole life cost calculator.
• Respond to subject matter experts who raise comments and concerns on the draft Service Design Package before submission to our Service Design Review Board (SDRB) ensuring SME
concerns are appropriately addressed and any subsequent amendments made to the SDP before presentation at SDRB.
• Present SDPs and raise service risks for clarity and ownership to SDRB who will determine and agree that the designed service is fit for use and can be supported.
• Hand the approved SD Pto Service Transition to enable testing to prove the service is fit for purpose and can be moved into our live environment, ensuring any outstanding comments/caveats are appropriately managed and handed over.
• Raise and champion continuous improvements to enable our service design processes and capability to mature over time.
Skills and experience
• Experience of operating in a complex multi-supplier Service Integration and and Management environment.
• Experience of working in multi-supplier environments and management of complex matrixes.
• A deep understanding of Service Management best practice backed up by industry qualifications (ITIL).
• Excellent stakeholder management skills informed by political and business awareness.
• Excellent influencing, relationship and conflict resolution skills.
• Effective workload management skills with the ability to prioritise time and organise activities and resources.
• Making effective decisions by drawing pragmatic conclusions from all the relevant information available.
• Performing effectively to deadlines, maintaining focus in challenging situations and adapting to find solutions to problems that meet the needs of stakeholders.
ITIL 3 including accreditation against the service design model
By pressing 'Apply', you will be contacted by a member of the DDTS Recruitment Hub and will inform you of next steps to formally apply for this role via Civil Service Jobs. Please note that you are registering your interest by clicking 'Apply' and this is not a formal job application.