The Role: Lead Data Engineer
Planet Smart City fosters a culture of inclusivity that reflects our mission in addressing one of the most pressing current global issues: affordable housing.
More than 1.6 billion people currently live in unsafe and overcrowded housing.
We create cities and neighbourhoods that are economically, environmentally, and socially sustainable by integrating the best architecture and engineering with the use of smart technologies, low-cost homes not only for today but for future generations.
People and communities are put at the heart of our neighbourhoods, improving lives by enabling a circular economy, and offering social innovation programmes, which help promote strong and supportive communities that nurture relationships and are enriched with services at a local level.
Our company values reflect our mission of impactful growth and dedication to innovation through a people-centric culture, mindful leadership, commitment to care, authentic compassion.
We are looking for a Lead Data Engineer to join our Data & Insights team.
Planet Smart City collects and processes data from a variety of source systems in order to service our customers and optimise our business. These sources include IoT devices, mobile applications, customer interactions, and construction project control systems, in addition to more ubiquitous line-of-business solutions such as CRM and ERP.
The data strategy for Planet Smart City, supported by our Data & Insights team, aims to integrate the data from our source systems in a cloud data warehouse,
provisioning a source of clean, governed data in analytical readiness for analysts and data scientists from across our global enterprise.
The successful candidate will collaborate closely with, and report to, the Head of Data & Insights in effecting the data strategy for Planet Smart City. They will be expected to share in the definition of the strategy as it evolves, bringing to bear their skills, experience, and capability.
We are a new function within the business, and the appetite to take the lead on data engineering initiatives, champion data engineering and engage the business, and to establish and follow best practice and standards, will be important.
The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and implementing data engineering solutions, for example flows between systems for the purposes of analytics and BI.
They will need to champion data engineering, collaborate with a diverse range of stakeholders with differing communication styles and levels of technical understanding, and apply their knowledge of systems integration to:
· Create new data flows;
· Recognise and share opportunities to re-use existing data flows;
· Lead interdisciplinary initiatives from a data engineering perspective;
· Set and follow best practice and standards.
· Experience of implementing and supporting a range of data analytics solutions, covering data modelling, ETL/ELT, reporting, dashboarding, and complex analytical models/tools;
· Proven experience leading and supporting data analytics platforms, tools, ingestion and transformation solutions;
· Experience scheduling, running, monitoring, and fixing batch jobs;
· Experience of data management technologies and approaches;
· Experience of data quality, ingestion, and transformation tools;
· Experience of data exploitation tools;
· Experience communicating and supporting business users.
Must have proven experience with:
· Fivetran ETL
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Expert skills in SQL;
· Demonstrable desire to acquire additional technical skills as deemed necessary for the role, including Python, R, and Machine Learning;
· Knowledge of security approaches and tools, e.g. encryption, tokenization;
· A clear understanding of Agile and Continuous Integration environments;
· Knowledge of configuration management approaches and practices.