Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals' genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We're now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.Job Description
Responsible for the architecture of GEL's Infrastructure architecture. The role will be responsible for networking, firewalls, security, storage and compute in a high performance computing and high availability hybrid cloud environment.Key Accountabilities
- Own the infrastructure architecture for GEL's storage, compute, WAN and LAN services. Including HPC cluster, Weka cluster, Next Generation Firewall, Security SIEM solutions, AWS VPC's
- Responsible for ensuring solutions are performance, resilient, robust and secure
- Own the infrastructure architecture for the hybrid infrastructure across private and public cloud services
- Develop standards and guidance for the adoption of cloud services.
- Own the infrastructure architecture for high performance compute and peta byte scale storage in private and public cloud
- Work with product teams, Devops and sysops engineers to assist with designing and building out the infrastructure using infrastructure as code
- Provide governance and oversight of infrastructure architecture
- Monitor systems and provide proactive performance and cost optimisation support
- Review and support the testing of changes to networks / hosted systems / cloud configuration changes
- Produce architecture patterns for cloud solutions
- Perform reviews of deployed infrastructure solutions to ensure that solutions have adopted best practices
- Know and understand the meaning behind our virtues of Empathy, Integrity, Focus, Connection, Speed, Curiosity, Impact and embody them in all aspects of your role
- Deep knowledge & practical experience of private and public cloud infrastructure architecture
- WAN / LAN architecture
- Experience of HPC high performance solutions i.e. Weka.io / Luster Sfx , Mellanox , GPU NVIDA DGX
- Experience of architecting and securing object stores i.e. Quantum / AWS S3 at Peta byte scale.
- Containerisation services i.e AWS ECS, EKS, Openshift, VMware
- Experience of architecting solutions for AWS, spanning a broad range of infrastructure services i.e VPC's, Transit Gateways, AWS Direct Connect
- Experience of modern network firewall architecture i.e. Fortigate
- Experience with scripting (python, powershell)
- Experience with CI/CD scripting cloudformation / terraform
- Ability to architect secure, fault tolerant, scalable solutions
- Excellent communications skills
- Hands on expertise across technology infrastructure including networking, compute, storage and virtualisation/containerisation
- AWS certified advanced networking specialist
- Experience with cloud identify services IAM Okta / AWS SSO/ MS AD
- Degree level qualification or equivalent
- AWS certified architect professional / AWS Infrastructure architect
Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we're pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the long-term opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome.
- competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- generous pension scheme
- individual learning budgets for every colleague
- a raft of other benefits
Talk to our Talent Team and find out how a career with Genomics England will benefit you.