At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we're helping developers get answers to their questions or find new jobs, we build products that make millions of developers' lives better every day. Our goal is to create a community and a company where every developer feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.Some Recent Projects We've Been Working On Include
As a senior front-end engineer at Stack Overflow, you'll work closely with the Design Systems Lead on our design system, Stacks. There you'll create and ship thoughtful, highly performant, reusable components to Stack Overflow's developers and users across all its products. You'll be responsible for anything from the larger technical choices (frameworks, package delivery), to implementation (building and documenting individual components). You'll also work with other designers, engineers, and product managers on ongoing user interface refactors to migrate existing front-end to our shared Stacks library.
What You'll Do
- Our newest products, Stack Overflow for Teams and for Enterprise, which give organizations a private, secure home for their team's questions and answers.
- New experiments on Stack Overflow Talent and Advertising to help companies reach and engage developers with job and advertising opportunities.
- Continuous improvements to Stack Exchange and Stack Overflow including tools, UX improvements, and features for community members and moderators alike.
- Developing internal tools to automate time-consuming processes for other developers and members of the company and community.
Skills & Requirements
Technologies You'll Work With (for Now)
- Help vet current and future front-end technology choices and best practices for building Stack Overflow and Stacks.
- Build and document individual Stacks components as defined in our roadmap.
- Maintain and refactor existing, mature Stacks components.
- Lead refactors of the Stack Overflow codebase to use Stacks components.
- Identify pain points in our front-end tooling and workflow and help deliver improvements.
- Help hire and lead additional front-end developers across the company.
- Work with the larger engineering team to evangelize and unblock developers working on their daily tasks.
What We Want To See
- Documentation pages are built using 11ty and published via Netlify.
- We pre-process our CSS with Less. Outside of our components, we use atomic CSS.
- You'll be interacting with our core codebases, which are .NET MVC using Razor views.
- You've been doing this for a few years, ideally at or near Stack Overflow's scale.
- You've helped lead fellow developers.
- Experience in multi-tenant environments. We ship a single design system across a few products.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience building, shipping, and advocating for accessible components.
- You're highly organized and have the ability to work independently.
- A passion for beautiful user interfaces and great user experiences. You might have even considered being a designer at some point.
If this job interests you but you aren't certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
We're a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you'll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). While we're generally very flexible on working hours, living and working within GMT-7:00 to GMT+2:00 time zones (US through Europe) is required for scheduling and interaction with your team. We also believe in strong work-life balance and are focused on making sure you have a positive work experience, in-office or remotely.In The United States, Benefits IncludeWhat you'll get in return:
- Competitive salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.Diverse teams build better products.Legally, We Need You To Know This
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.But We Want To Add This
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.