Mechanical Project Engineer - CAD/FEA/ANSYSScience and Technology Facilities Council
Salary: £38,969 to £43,300 per annum plus annual role-based allowance of £5,000
Hours: Full time or Part time (minimum 3 days per week)
Contract Type: Open Ended
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire Early applications are encouraged and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
Work at the forefront of scientific endeavour is only possible with a dedicated team of engineers able to turn abstract scientific ideas into reality. At STFC each problem requires a unique solution taking advantage of the latest technologies to deliver the seemingly impossible. Our engineers develop bespoke solutions in conjunction with world leading scientists, we then carry that idea through to completion.
The Project Engineering Group at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) near Oxford presently has a broad range of challenging projects working with the Diamond Light Source, ISIS, CERN, Central Laser Facility, and RAL Space. In joining us you will be working on the science experiments that will be making the ground-breaking discoveries of the next 10 or 20 years. Some of our highest profile successes of recent years include: designing and building the principal optic suspensions for the LIGO project which has recently made the first direct measurement of gravitational waves; building the cooling system for the Planck satellite which measured the cosmic microwave background; and developing the detectors at the heart of the ATLAS and CMS experiments that were instrumental in discovering the Higgs Boson in 2012.
We are looking for a Mechanical Project Engineer(with 3D CAD experience) to own and deliver novel one-off engineering solutions to the Physics community. We want mechanical engineers with professional industry experience to deliver both the detailed design and analytical engineering alongside the project management, integration and commissioning of the project. This role will require you to work closely with in-house and external engineers and scientists to understand their requirements and transform their ideas into engineered solutions. Some amount of national and international travel may be required.Skills & Experience:
To join us you will have a strong background in Mechanical Engineering and have experience of working as a project/design engineer, as well as analytical engineering (possibly FEA), managing resources, presenting ideas to customers and be skilled in the writing of technical papers and reports.
A degree in mechanical engineering (or equivalent), and experience in the specification, design and procurement of engineering systems is essential.
You will have:
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Led and managed projects end to end through their complete life cycle by producing and monitoring project and resource plans, and associated budgets
- Produced creative and innovative designs solutions and concepts using 2D and 3D CAD systems
- Generated models, drawings and specifications to enable manufacture/procurement of parts and assemblies
- Organised technical meetings/reviews and maintain associated documentation.
- Produced or supervised the use of FEA analyses/calculations to validate designs
- Taken a leading role in the delivery of projects
- Are experienced in writing technical papers, engineering specifications and progress reports
- Liaised with customers and staff at all levels including engineers, scientists and technicians
- Be educated to degree level in mechanical engineering or HNC/HND with extensive experience in related fields.
- Using ANSYS
- Risk analysis
- Experience in any of these fields:
o Vacuum technology
o Heat transfer analysis and cooling solutions
o Mechanism design
o Motion control systems
- Pressurised systems
- Magnet technology
- Survey and alignment techniques
- Laser technology.
Interviews are intended to take place early March 2021.Benefits
STFC recognises and values employees as individuals and aims to provide a pay and reward package that motivates staff to the best of their ability. The reward and benefit package includes a flexible working scheme, an excellent Defined Benefit pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.