This is an exciting time to join HMRC as we continue our journey to become one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world. To achieve our ambition, we are investing in ground-breaking initiatives and programmes to transform our tax systems, building a dynamic organisation with a culture that focuses on and significantly invests in the continual development of our people. This role based in Corporate Finance, will be a key part of this transformation, responsible for leading a fast-pace team focussed on ensuring that these programmes are fit for purpose, and meet our high accounting and process standards.
About Corporate Finance
Corporate Finance fulfils a vital role at the heart of HMRC. We are responsible for ensuring that HMRC plans and manages its performance, makes good decisions and is held to account on accurate financial and performance data. Our activity helps HMRC account excellently for everything HMRC does!
This senior leadership role is to lead one of the Finance Systems/Accreditation (FA) teams responsible for assuring and supporting HMRC Transformation programmes (including Making Tax Digital, Customs Transformation, EU Exit and COVID Scheme changes) that impact our financial systems. The key aim is to ensure Financial standards and strategies are embedded and delivered through change. The FA teams are part of the Systems and Processes team within Corporate Finance - Finance Operations that is responsible for ensuring that the finance systems are effective and efficient, and for supporting users within the finance community.
This high-profile role provides a unique opportunity to engage with and influence change across all the business areas in HMRC. You will be responsible for ensuring programmes and projects receive specialist advice and support when delivering changes that impact on financial systems and processes and providing assurance that these changes meet our needs and are future-proof.
The role offers a variety and breadth of responsibilities:
• Leading a finance systems team to ensure that change programmes are delivered in line with departmental standards and strategies and provide effective financial management and control.
• Building and maintain relationships with change leads on a portfolio of programmes across HMRC
• Working collaboratively with the heads of the other Finance Systems/Accreditation team to deliver a cohesive service to our customers.
• Influencing decisions and solution designs/processes for change, ensuring they align to set standards, providing constructive challenge to change leads where solutions do not align.
• Ensuring robust audit trails are maintained to enable response to the National Audit Office or Internal Audit Office enquiries.
• Liaise closely with all Finance Subject Matter Specialists ensuring they are aware of change that will impact on the payment processes or delivery of the HMRC accounts.
• Providing technical advice and decision making to complex accounting solutions.
• Become a proactive and engaged member of change Boards including deputising for the Finance Operations Director and the Systems and Processes Deputy Director at Programme and other decision-making boards.
• Protect the accuracy and completeness of the department's accounts by ensuring all financial requirements and strategies are known, understood and efficiently delivered by change leads.
• The successful candidate will be working directly to the Systems and Processes Deputy Director, with direct management for a team up to 20 staff from Officer to Grade.
To be successful in this role you'll be a confident leader and finance professional with excellent communication and collaboration skills as well as strong technical accounting and partner management skills. You'll be able to develop strong technical knowledge of all finance and tax systems and processes. In addition, you will need to develop a good understanding of HMRC strategic directions and Transformation objectives.
• Qualified Accountant with a recognised body such as CIPFA, CIMA, etc
• Good experience of operating effectively in a finance related role gained working within a large and complex organisation.
• Excellent organisation and change management skills and experience, with the ability to manage conflicting priorities in a fast-paced working environment.
• Strong leadership, stakeholder management and relationship-building skills.
• Good problem-solving skills and ability to analyse information, summarise and use judgement on recommendations.
• Experience of successfully working with major ERP systems in the Finance Function, with the ability to grasp technical concepts quickly and communicate them effectively to a diverse audience.
• Audit skills/qualifications
• Project management skills/qualifications
• Knowledge of HMRC's transformation agenda and its impact on financial processes
• Strong SAP system skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company! We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
CCAB Qualified Accountant
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Seeing the Big Picture
Making Effective Decisions
• Learning and development tailored to your role
• An environment with flexible working options
• A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
• A Civil Service pension
• 22 days leave (pro rata for part time staff), which increases to 25 after a year's service and 30 days after 10 years' service