Downing is a fast growing, entrepreneurial investment manager based in the City of London. Our passion is finding and funding great entrepreneurs, helping them grow their businesses in the real economy. Our ability to adapt and innovate to create investment products for our customers is key to our growth and success.
Downing has been raising money for, and investing in, UK businesses for over 30 years. We currently have over £1 billion in funds under management, driven by an experienced team which now numbers around 140 staff. We raise around £150 - 200 million a year, with the support of 35,000 retail investors who trust us to invest on their behalf.
We invest across a range of sectors and products and continue to develop our offering to ensure we are at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to innovation is evidenced through the recent development of Downing Crowd, the online investment platform launched in 2016.
Downing has developed into a large and prosperous company with a fast-moving meritocratic and entrepreneurial culture. Our core values of flexibility, transparency and integrity are vital to everything we do - from the business we invest in, to the people we hire.Roles and key responsibilities
As part of the expansion of our Lower-Mid Market investment strategy ("Downing Development Capital"), we are seeking to recruit an exceptional Investment Executive.
Downing Development Capital offers UK-based businesses growth and development capital. We have the capability to invest across both debt and equity capital with a high degree of flexibility (e.g. fixed-return, as well as minority and majority equity positions). Typical investments are between £3 million - £30 million per transaction, with a focus on delivering a 'Buy and Build' strategy across our portfolio companies through additional funding after the initial investment.
You will be committed to delivering high performance with energy and enthusiasm. This position offers great exposure for someone who values autonomy and working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. The standards are high and the working environment is professional, but friendly and supportive. We process hundreds of investment opportunities every year and have a high volume of deal activity. All our team members are empowered to take as much responsibility in as many opportunities as their skills and enthusiasm will allow them.
We are looking for a candidate with a positive and proactive attitude with strong all-round abilities. You will have had experience in investment, corporate finance, transaction services and/ or consultancy. You should be able to articulate an overview of the corporate finance market, your role within it to date and be able to demonstrate an awareness of the investment process.
The role will be broad and will require you to support the team to assess markets, identify and evaluate potential transactions, execute investments and manage investee companies through to eventual exit. You will be expected to focus on operating businesses that trade from freehold property, in sectors such as Healthcare, Education and Hospitality & Leisure but may gain exposure to other types of investment opportunities and a wider array of sectors.
You will have strong inter-personal skills and should be able to balance analytical and commercial thinking. You should be able to assess large amounts of information in an efficient manner and be able to work with imperfect information. In doing so, the candidate should be able to prove an understanding of the key commercial and value drivers of a business plan.
An understanding of structuring and managing equity and debt instruments to deliver appropriate risk adjusted returns is beneficial. An understanding of the sectors we invest in would be helpful but is not essential.
The candidate will work closely with other members of our Lower-Mid Market investment team. They will also be able to build their knowledge of Downing's other investment activities which is likely to support the candidate's longer-term career development. Key skills and attributes
The successful candidate will have a balanced set of technical skills, maturity and commercial acumen as well as enthusiasm to learn and develop by working within a team:
- Prior experience (at least 2 years) in an investment firm, corporate finance, transaction services advisory or consultancy with a focus on UK private equity transactions.
- You will be a university graduate with a strong academic background, preferably with a professional qualification e.g. ACA, CFA, MBA or equivalent.
- A strategic thinker with strong interpersonal skills and high levels of emotional intelligence.
- Able to work under pressure and towards deadlines with a self-starting attitude.
- Able to demonstrate robust analytical and financial modelling skills.
- Proficient at multi-tasking across a variety of projects.
- Collegiate and proactive personality with a mature outlook.
- Clear and concise communication skills (written and verbal).
- Expert financial modelling skills, including VBA
- Strong attention to detail
- Good initiative with a proactive attitude to work
- A strong analytical mindset
- The ability to work effectively within a team
- Excellent planning and organisation skills, and the ability to prioritise a busy workload
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to work well under pressure
- Passionate about what you do - you are always happy to roll up your sleeves
- Team player - have fun! We do our best to cultivate an open, honest, hard-working but fun culture at Downing.
- Customer oriented - you are approachable, friendly and professional whilst working diligently. Nothing is too much trouble.
- Assertive and focus on execution - you make things happen.
- Eloquent - you can explain complex things in simple, relevant terms, and in good English.
For the successful candidate, we will put together an attractive reward package that will include:
- Competitive salary dependent on experience and qualifications
- Discretionary bonus
- Pension scheme
- Health insurance
- Life assurance
- Income Protection
- Death in service
- Additional social perks
- Reports to Partner
- Full-time working from London City office (subject to covid-19 guidelines)
- All candidates must be eligible to work in the UK or have a working visa
We endeavour to reply to all individual applicants and will provide feedback for any candidates that reach the interview stage.
Please note, we are committed to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CVs from agencies.